‘Read the Bible Jack A#%’: Dr. Pepper Sparks Creationist Outrage Over ‘Evolution of Flavor’ Facebook Ad
Companies sometimes get themselves into trouble when they use controversial issues and themes to push their products. Dr. Pepper, the popular soft drink company, is the latest brand to spark outrage after it chose to use evolutionary theory in a new Facebook graphic.
Entitled, “The Evolution of Flavor,” the ad, which is red, pink and white in its color, shows an ape, a creature that appears to be transitioning and then a human being. Under the ape’s image it says “pre-Pepper.” The caption for the middle, transitionary picture reads, “Pepper discovery” and the final image, showing an individual drinking the beverage reads, “Post-Pepper.”
The reaction has been fascinating to see unfold. While some have expressed anger over the image, claiming that it showcases the company’s support for evolutionary theory, others see it as comical.
The graphic was originally posted on Thursday on Dr. Pepper’s Facebook page with a message that reads “Now that’s progress.” Already, it has more than 23,800 “likes” and over 3,100 comments.
“Evolution ain’t real…Read the bible jack a#%,” wrote one individual who was displeased with the ad.
“Just lost my support. Will no longer be buying your products,” wrote another, with others sharing very similar messages and pledging not to “sponsor” the company and its products any longer.
But not everyone was dissuaded by or discontented with the ad.
Another commenter expressed his delight at the outrage coming from some, writing, “I believe in evolution, and love how pissed theright-wing fundies are getting about this silly little ad, but I still hate Dr. Pepper. Anybody know where Pepsi stands on the issue?”
And others took aim at the Bible, which detractors were holding up as prime evidence against evolutionary theory.
“The bible is a piece of crap work of fiction. Grow up and stop believing in fairy tales,” another commenter wrote.
Here’s a sampling of some of the messages, as they appear on Dr. Pepper’s Facebook page:
So far, the company has not publicly addressed the furious debate it has sparked. Recently, Oreo (made by Kraft) also found itself getting some criticism after the company publicly supported gay pride on its Facebook page.
The subjects of evolution and creationism have been widely-discussed of late, with scientist Bill Nye and the Creation Museum sounding-off against one another through viral videos and media appearances.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
- This Is the Creationists‘ Response to Scientist Bill Nye’s Viral Pro-Evolution Video Claiming They Harm Children
- Scientist Bill Nye Hammers Creationists: Evolution-Deniers ‘Hold Everybody Back,‘ Harm Children’s Education & Hold Views That Will Eventually Be Extinct
- Nearly Half of Americans Believe in Creationism Over Evolution — Do You? (Poll)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 364 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 145 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 104 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Court cancels Ukraine's first gay pride rally
- WHO: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady
- UN chief visits Goma, Congo
- UK attack suspects part of previous investigations
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter