Is the ‘National Yard Sale For Obama’ a Joke?
Is next weekend’s National Yard Sale For Obama a serious fundraising effort by the Obama campaign? Well, sort of.
The 2012 election has shown us some of the most innovative campaign fundraising ideas in history. Both the Romney and Obama campaigns have made use of the lottery or raffle-type fundraising to entice large groups of small donors ($3 – $15) with the dream of winning a lunch, dinner, or other chance to meet the candidates in a very small group.
The Obama campaign has also sent out numerous emails suggesting that supporters donate their weekly “pizza money” and even encouraged engaged couples to have a campaign donation to the president on their bridal registry gift list. That was the pitch that actually talked about a donation to the campaign using these words:
“It’s a gift we can all appreciate, and it goes a lot further than a gravy boat.”
What about this “National Yard Sale For Obama?” (NYS4O)
At first glance NYS4O sounded more like a Jimmy Kimmel or Jon Stewart bit. Is this really something from the campaign? TheBlaze looked into it: NYS4O is real and it is also endorsed by the Obama-Biden campaign.
Fox Nation is reporting that “Obama Campaign has named September 22-23 ‘the national yard sale for Obama.’” That’s not exactly the case.
While the yard sale is not an “official” campaign event, it does appear in the “Grassroots” section of the BarackObama.com website. There might be some confusion about the association of events like this because the bottom of the page clearly states, “PAID FOR BY OBAMA FOR AMERICA.” Technically, the NYS4O is not an official Obama campaign event, but it is given the “thumbs up” from the Obama-Biden crew.
NYS4O also has a Facebook page that states:
This is your chance to show them how the Dems do it. No big corporate donations, my friend. This time it’s about a grassroots movement to show this country of undecided voters that Obama has serious support.
The Facebook and Grassroots Fundraising pages are reporting that more than 500 people have signed up to participate in the National Yard Sale For Obama (either online or on their front lawns).
For the record, the 2008 Obama campaign listed many large donations from corporate entities, including Wall Street giants Goldman Sachs and JP MorganChase. And, in 2012, Mr. Obama and the Democrats continue to reel in huge sums of money from those “fat cats” in the financial world. This past July, The Wall Street Journal reported on the Dems $14 million dollar take from the securities and investment industry. You would need to sell a lot of used waffle irons or Obama bobble head dolls to raise that kind of money.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 385 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 371 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 197 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 134 Comments
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Nixon library hosts reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Euro Tour CEO apologizes for saying 'colored'
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Study: No higher cancer rate at Conn. Pratt plant
- Distraught mom becomes face of Oklahoma storm