Hurry, You’ll Have Five Hours Tuesday to See an Original, Handwritten Draft of the Constitution
PHILADELPHIA (TheBlaze/AP) — Did you know today is a holiday? While you may not get the day off, September 17 is officially recognized as Constitution Day. The holiday marks the official day the founding document was signed in 1787.
In honor of the document’s 225th anniversary, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania is putting six original drafts and copies of the Constitution of the United States on display.
The historical society will put the copies and drafts on display for five hours on Tuesday. Among the items is one of 11 original printings remaining. The Historical society explains:
Among the many treasures of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania are two handwritten drafts and four printed documents that trace the genesis of the new form of government proposed by the Constitutional Convention. These six treasured documents, taken together, show how the Constitution evolved and how the final proposal was presented to the convention delegates, to Congress and the state legislatures, and to the American people, setting the stage for a remarkable public debate that demonstrated that human beings using reason and choice could decide what kind of government they wanted.
Historical society President Kim Sajet tells The Philadelphia Inquirer the drafts and copies are only displayed on special occasions. They’re usually locked in a vault at the society’s building.
A number of Philadelphia’s other historical sites are hosting events for the anniversary, including the National Constitution Center.
The Constitution was officially adopted on Sept. 17, 1787, replacing the Articles of Confederation.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 506 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 406 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 105 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 205 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 141 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Francona manages at Fenway for 1st time since 2011
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead
- GOP's Walker touts state ties during trip to Iowa
- Brown hounded for calling Manila 'gates of hell'
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set