Egypt Issues Arrest Warrant for Pastor Terry Jones Over Anti-Islam YouTube Vid
Egypt’s general prosecutor has issued an arrest warrant for both American pastor Terry Jones and the the creator of the controversial “Innocence of Muslims” YouTube video that is being blamed, at least in part, for riots across the Muslim world.
According to various media reports, Jones did not play a role in creating the film, but had a hand in promoting it.
The prosecutor’s office said in a statement that the accused– which also includes six Coptic Christians– face charges of harming national unity, insulting and publicly attacking Islam, and spreading false information. The office said they could face the death penalty if convicted, but no date for the trial is set.
According to the Associated Press the case is “largely symbolic” because all eight of the accused are all believed to be outside of Egypt and unlikely to return to the country to face the charges. Rather, they say, the prosecutor’s decision to take legal appears to be aimed at absorbing some of the public anger over the amateur film.
However, since the 2011 revolution in Egypt, the longtime ally’s relationship with the United States has grown increasingly strained. President Obama went so far as to say last week that the United States doesn’t necessarily consider the newly-elected Egyptian government an ally, but we don’t consider them an enemy either (the White House later backtracked and said “ally” is a legal term).
Either way, the fact that the Egyptian government has now issued an arrest warrant for an American citizen for promoting free speech is unlikely to endear it to many.
Ultraconservative Salafi lawyer Mamdouh Ismail of Egypt praised the prosecutor’s decision, saying: “Now these are legal measures instead of angry reactions, whose consequences are undetermined.”
He added that this should also be a “deterrent for them and anyone else” who may consider committing a similar offense.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
(H/T: Weasel Zippers)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 524 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 333 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 269 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- 20 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- German opposition party marks bittersweet 150th
- Oil down to near $93 on Chinese recovery concerns
- UK official: Suspects part of previous probes
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot