Nevada Man Dies With $200 in Bank… And $7 Million in Hidden Gold
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A Carson City, Nev., recluse whose body was found in his home at least a month after he died left only $200 in his bank account.
But as Walter Samaszko Jr.’s house was being cleared for sale, officials made a surprise discovery: gold bars and coins valued at $7 million.
“Nobody had any clue he was hoarding the gold,” Carson City Clerk-Recorder Alan Glover told the Las Vegas Sun, adding it was found stored in boxes in the house and garage.
The 69-year-old Samaszko was found dead in his home in late June after neighbors called authorities. He had been dead of heart problems for at least a month, according to the coroner.
He had lived in the house since the 1960s, and his mother lived with him until her death in 1992.
He left no will and had no apparent close relatives. But using a list of those who attended the mother’s funeral, Glover’s office tracked down Arlene Magdanz, a first cousin in San Rafael, Calif., the Sun reported.
A recording said her phone number had been disconnected.
“Our goal is to get the most money for the heir,” Glover said.
The gold coins had been minted as early as the 1840s in such countries as Mexico, England, Austria and South Africa, he said.
Based on just the weight of the gold alone, Glover estimates their worth at $7 million. Because some of the coins appear to be collector’s items, the value could go much higher, he said.
Neighbors told authorities they knew little about Samaszko other than he was quiet and not a problem.
Samaszko was “anti-government,” Carson City’s Nevada Appeal reported, and a few conspiracy theory books were found in the home along with several guns.
“He never went to a doctor,” Glover told the newspaper. “He was obsessed with getting diseases from shots.”
Samaszko also had stock accounts of more than $165,000 and another $12,000 in cash at the house.
Glover said he wants to start selling off the gold as soon as possible. The IRS wants a share of the total, he said, and the case is relatively simple other than the agency’s involvement.
“At least you don’t have 12 relatives fighting,” Glover told the Appeal.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 486 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 455 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 440 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 310 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 239 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Teen birth rates decline in most US states
- Nearly all US states see hefty drop in teen births
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead
- Urban renewal? Big US cities showing strong growth
- Lawyer: Malaysian accused of rape married the girl
- LeBron saves Heat at buzzer of Game 1
- Building materials blamed in Bangladesh disaster
- Gov't probe faults construction materials, code violations for Bangladesh building collapse