You Know That Picture You’re Seeing Today of Obama With a Pirate? It’s From 2009
If you follow the presidential candidates on Twitter, you can learn a great deal about what is important to the individuals running for the highest office in the land. And a picture posted by the president yesterday has been getting a lot of buzz. But some things arrrrrn’t what they seem. We explain.
Yesterday, President Obama’s official Twitter account posted this tweet:
Clicking on the link takes you to a White House photo of the President observing yesterday’s International ‘Talk Like A Pirate’ Day.
Many have raised questions about the appropriateness of President Obama spending his valuable time in this manner, especially during a week when Americans have been killed in attacks on our embassies in the Middle East. Multiple outlets have even made it a main story this morning, suggesting Obama took the picture, and time, yesterday to celebrate National Talk Like a Pirate Day. This morning, three times during the 8 o’clock hour, “Fox and Friends” suggested that the photo was from yesterday.
However, it appears to the astute observer this photograph is not new.
First, look at President Obama’s hair. We don’t see a speck of gray. And lately, we’ve been seeing a lot of gray hair on the President’s noggin.
And then there’s the fact that CBS reporter Mark Knoller reported on this story in May of 2009:
What kind of unexplained policy initiative was being played out in this photo, the historian might wonder, perhaps confusing it for something other than what it was: a gag – one of dozens – for the president’s remarks at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner.
The joke was the idea of three top presidential aides including senior advisor David Axelrod.
They would have Mr. Obama refer to his recent meetings with world leaders.
“There I am with Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso,” he would say, followed by, “there I am with Gordon Brown.”
But the punch line was his assertion that he was living up to his campaign pledge that “we can’t just talk to our friends.” And with that, up would pop the photo of President Obama with a pirate.
This was no modern-day pirate of the type that hijacks ships off the horn of Africa. It was a buccaneer in full Captain Hook regalia: knee-high boots, a cut-away coat, an eye patch and even a parrot on his shoulder.
To get a Blackbeard, you just don’t look up “pirate” in the Yellow Pages, unless you’re in Somalia. And even there, pirates work in plain-clothes, except for their automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.
The White House needed a pirate, and it turned to speechwriter Cody Keenan. It was a role not exactly in his job description.
“Fox and Friends” has now issued a correction over the photo:
This story has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 975 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 372 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 287 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 131 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 171 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Protesters chant 'Stop the IRS' in Cincinnati
- More attacks across Iraq kill 13 people
- Police release photos from Tucson shooting rampage
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Face-chewing victim recovering, strumming guitar
- Syria opposition signals tough line on peace talks
- Algerian president leaves Paris military hospital