You Know That Picture You’re Seeing Today of Obama With a Pirate? It’s From 2009
If you follow the presidential candidates on Twitter, you can learn a great deal about what is important to the individuals running for the highest office in the land. And a picture posted by the president yesterday has been getting a lot of buzz. But some things arrrrrn’t what they seem. We explain.
Yesterday, President Obama’s official Twitter account posted this tweet:
Clicking on the link takes you to a White House photo of the President observing yesterday’s International ‘Talk Like A Pirate’ Day.
Many have raised questions about the appropriateness of President Obama spending his valuable time in this manner, especially during a week when Americans have been killed in attacks on our embassies in the Middle East. Multiple outlets have even made it a main story this morning, suggesting Obama took the picture, and time, yesterday to celebrate National Talk Like a Pirate Day. This morning, three times during the 8 o’clock hour, “Fox and Friends” suggested that the photo was from yesterday.
However, it appears to the astute observer this photograph is not new.
First, look at President Obama’s hair. We don’t see a speck of gray. And lately, we’ve been seeing a lot of gray hair on the President’s noggin.
And then there’s the fact that CBS reporter Mark Knoller reported on this story in May of 2009:
What kind of unexplained policy initiative was being played out in this photo, the historian might wonder, perhaps confusing it for something other than what it was: a gag – one of dozens – for the president’s remarks at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner.
The joke was the idea of three top presidential aides including senior advisor David Axelrod.
They would have Mr. Obama refer to his recent meetings with world leaders.
“There I am with Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso,” he would say, followed by, “there I am with Gordon Brown.”
But the punch line was his assertion that he was living up to his campaign pledge that “we can’t just talk to our friends.” And with that, up would pop the photo of President Obama with a pirate.
This was no modern-day pirate of the type that hijacks ships off the horn of Africa. It was a buccaneer in full Captain Hook regalia: knee-high boots, a cut-away coat, an eye patch and even a parrot on his shoulder.
To get a Blackbeard, you just don’t look up “pirate” in the Yellow Pages, unless you’re in Somalia. And even there, pirates work in plain-clothes, except for their automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.
The White House needed a pirate, and it turned to speechwriter Cody Keenan. It was a role not exactly in his job description.
“Fox and Friends” has now issued a correction over the photo:
This story has been updated.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 438 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 383 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 363 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 312 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 303 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 163 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 114 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Giffords, husband address graduates at Bard
- Kuchar still leads at Colonial after long Saturday
- Tornado victims include animal lover, man in truck
- Red Sox rally for 4 in 8th to beat Indians 7-4
- Bayern beats Dortmund 2-1 in final on Robben goal
- Anti-Muslim actions rise in UK over slain soldier
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; dozens rescued