Bill Maher: ‘At Least Half’ of Muslims Think It’s Okay to Kill Someone Who Insults ‘the Prophet’
Discussing Newsweek’s recent “Muslim Rage” cover, Bill Maher said on his show “Real Time” Friday night that “most Muslims” think it is acceptable to kill someone they think has offended the prophet Muhammad.
Accompanied by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, TIME’s Rana Foroohar, former San Diego Mayor Roger Hedgecock, and the author Salman Rushdie, Maher held up the magazine and said: “Most Muslims — at least half of them, I think, around the world — think it is ok to kill someone if they insult the Prophet. And that is a big problem. That is a clash of civilizations.”
Chris Matthews claimed Maher sounded like he was playing into Osama bin Laden’s “plan,” who he said wanted a West vs. East fight, and for Americans to confuse terrorism with Islam. After Foroohar said she thinks the solution is for American officials to convey their messages more clearly to Muslims abroad, Matthews asked Maher whether he has ever lived in the Middle East.
“Of course not,” Maher responded with a face. “I’d be dead if I lived in the Middle East,” he noted.
Matthews continued: “I went over and I lived a month in the Old City of Jerusalem…you have the guys in the black hats, the ultra-religious Jewish people…the Islamic people praying five times a day– all intermingling in the streets. Totally peaceful! It’s totally getting along together, it’s [been] going on for 2,000 years. People can live together with different religious beliefs.”
Without going into how Israel is far from “totally peaceful,” Maher simply said “not really” as Matthews finished his explanation. When asked what his solution is, Maher joked that atheist beliefs would solve a lot of the problems.
At that point Salman Rushdie– who has been afraid for his life since Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa to kill him over his book “The Satanic Verses” in 1989– interjected to say he was “with” Bill Maher on the issue.
However, his solution is to start calling what he referred to as “politicized, manufactured outrage” by its true name. We should not apologize, he says, we should say “would you stop winding people up” and “distorting facts.”
Click here for video.
Also on Bill Maher’s show, former San Diego mayor Roger Hedgecock called Chris Matthews a “liar” for saying much of the reason Republicans dislike Obama is because of his race and background.
After Chris gave a lengthy speech on “the big lie” that Republicans say the poor don’t work as hard as everybody else, Hedgecock replied: “Chris, Chris, calm down, man. You’re just, you’re lying. I mean, come on.”
When Matthews continued to say references to the welfare state are part of a “racial game” the right has been “playing,” Hedcock said: “You’re just outrageously wrong, okay?
Watch video of the exchange, via Newsbusters, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 181 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 309 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 125 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse