Homeowner’s Association Suing Woman Over…Granddaughter’s Pink Playhouse
A Georgia grandmother is being sued by her homeowner’s association over the color of her granddaughter’s playhouse.
Becky Rogers-Peck bought the playhouse for her 4-year-old granddaughter Aubree last Christmas in Aubree’s favorite color, WAGT-TV reported. But the Mills Haven Homeowner’s Association is taking her to court because she didn’t first get approval for the structure’s color.
“The general reaction is, ‘Are you kidding me?’’’ Rogers-Peck told NBC News. “They’re suing you over a pink playhouse?’ They’re policing us like we’re in a communist country, and it’s just ridiculous. Every once in a while, you’ve got to stand your ground.”
The homeowner’s association president has defended the move, saying it’s had complaints from neighbors.
“Part of the approval is color. We didn’t disapprove the playhouse, we disapproved the color,” association president Susan Bradley told WAGT. “Obviously I had neighbors that complained about it.”
But during a homeowner’s association meeting earlier this month, other neighbors came to Rogers-Peck’s defense.
“This is somebody’s personal property,” one resident said, according to WAGT. “If they want to have a pink playhouse, or a blue or a green playhouse, I’m fine with that.”
Rogers-Peck said it doesn’t make sense that a few complaining neighbors should dictate for the majority. She said she agrees rules should be in place for homeowners looking to put up a new shed or garage, but said she considers the playhouse to be play equipment, like a trampoline or swing set.
Wright McLeod, the attorney representing the homeowner’s association, said the rules must be followed.
“I don’t think it’s dumb,” McLeod said. “I think it’s regrettable that the homeowner would not comply with the rules.”
The association has said Rogers-Peck can keep the playhouse if she repaints it, which she said is not an option.
“I will not paint that playhouse,” she told the station. “I’ll move first.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 483 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Newly found Pearl S. Buck book is to be published
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Singer Nick Carter to release memoir Sept. 24
- AP Interview: Syria conflict uproots Palestinians
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal