Obama Vid Attacks Romney for Not Releasing More Tax Returns: ‘What Else Is He Hiding?’
In early August, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) took to the Senate floor to assert that Mitt Romney hasn’t paid his taxes for ten years.
“The word is out,” he said, starting a firestorm of activity in the media.
A few days later, White House advisor Robert Gibbs assured the public that if Romney would just release the returns, the issue would be put to rest.
“Mitt Romney could go to Kinkos, he could photocopy his tax returns…he could hand them out to reporters all over the country, and you know what? We wouldn’t talk about this tomorrow,” he told CNN’s Candy Crowley.
However, now that Romney has released his tax return for 2011, the Obama “Truth Team” has released a video implying the Republican presidential nominee is secretive and dishonest.
Watch it, below:
After discussing Romney’s Swiss bank accounts and overseas investments, the video asks: “Why won’t Mitt Romney come clean with the American people? What else is he hiding?”
The video also states that Romney bet against the dollar with a number of his investments, and has failed to match the precedent set by previous contenders for public office in the number of tax returns he is willing to release.
“This isn’t overly personal here, guys,” Obama commented during an August press conference. This pretty standard stuff. I do not think we are being mean to ask him to do what every other presidential candidate has done.”
Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg was unmoved, however, and responded: “with a failed record marked by job loss and middle-class suffering, President Obama has nothing to offer but cheap political attacks.”
She continued: “[Obama] once said politicians who can’t run on their record ‘make a big election about small things.’ With 23 million Americans struggling for work and Washington as broken as ever, President Obama has proven incapable of bringing the change he promised.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 392 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 277 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4