Fox’s Chris Wallace to Robert Gibbs: Obama ‘Has Time for Whoopi Goldberg, But He Doesn’t Have Time for World Leaders?’
Senior Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs on Sunday defended the president’s plan to appear on ABC’s “The View” while skipping any private meetings with world leaders gathered in New York this week for the United Nations General Assembly.
Appearing on “Fox News Sunday,” Gibbs told host Chris Wallace he has “no problem” with Obama’s decision to swap one-on-one meetings with his foreign counterparts for a joint appearance with first lady Michelle Obama on the daytime talk show. The Associated Press described such sessions as “where much of the U.N. works gets done” and said Obama was leaving Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to handle more of them.
“You say that he’s got schedules, that foreign leaders have schedules,” Wallace said. “He has time for Whoopi Goldberg but he doesn’t have time for world leaders?”
Gibbs, the former White House press secretary, insisted Obama would be “actively involved” in the U.N. proceedings, to which Wallace said Obama was “giving a speech.”
“Chris, they have telephones in the White House,” Gibbs said. “Last week, he talked to the president of Egypt. He talked to the leader in Libya. We don’t need a meeting in Washington just to confer with leaders. We’ve got a strong — ”
“But he does need the time to be on ‘The View’?” Wallace interjected.
Attempting to flip the conversation, Gibbs said he was sure that if the president was doing an interview with him on Fox, Wallace would “have no problem with that.”
“Well, he hasn’t, but that’s not the point,” Wallace countered. Asking whether Gibbs truly has no problem with Obama’s plan, Gibbs replied in the affirmative.
“Chris, you’re the president of the United States every minute of every day,” Gibbs said. “This isn’t just about one meeting on one particular day in New York. The president is actively involved and engaged in the most dangerous place in the world every single day of the week.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 386 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 150 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 124 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 239 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 249 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- Jury deciding Arias' sentence adjourns for day
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Family Ties: Jarrett, Petty enter NASCAR hall
- Top AEG lawyer referred to Jackson as 'freak'
- In Arias trial, TV cameras never far behind
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94