Ahmadinejad Chastises ‘Uncivilized Zionists’ & Derides Capitalism in U.N. General Assembly Address
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stood before the United Nations General Assembly this morning, where he called for a restructuring of the U.N. and greater fairness for all of humanity. Toward the end of his address, he said that “a great and historic mission can be accomplished” if the world comes together to solve the world’s problems, while earlier making favorable references to Occupy Wall Street and lambasting the “uncivilized Zionists.”
Despite his sometimes inflammatory rhetoric, Ahmadinejad (just this morning, he was calling for a new world order and speaking out against the U.S.), the Iranian president opened his speech by thanking “the almighty God” for the opportunity to speak and by calling for the world to “work together for building a better life for [the] entire human community.”
As is generally the case, the fiery leader took the time to praise Iran for its “glory and beauty,” while also heralding the country’s culture, wisdom, morality — and its multitude of scientists, philosophers and masters of literature. This, of course, was only a snippet of the accolades he showered upon his homeland.
Ahmadinejad then moved on to discuss the current global schema, presenting its central tenets through his worldview. While he is typically very open during these speeches about his views on the U.S. and Israel, he seemed to hold back from naming either of the nations too fervently. Still, it was clear which countries he was speaking about at various points throughout the address.
Despite the overall, toned-down nature of his words, there was one section in which he lambasted the “imposition of a fake government [and] displacement and genocide of millions of people around the globe,” purportedly speaking about his views on Israel. At another point, he also berated the ”uncivilized Zionists” who have threatened to attack Iran over its nuclear weapons program.
Toward the middle of his speech, it seemed as though Ahmadinejad was speaking out in an effort to court those sympathetic to the Occupy Wall Street movement. After lamenting about the economic chaos and income disparity present across the globe, he praised the so-called 99 percent (a terminology that is central to the Occupy Wall Street movement).
While speaking about poverty and the general populace, he said, “In the United States and europe their (the citizens’) voices arent heard even if them comprise of 99 percent of the societies.”
The Iranian president, mirroring his comments to the Associated Press earlier in the day, spoke about the need for a new world order.
“The current world order has certain characteristics — some of which are as follows,” he explained. “It is founded on materialism and that is why it is in no way bound to moral values. It has been shaped according to selfishness, deception, hatred and animosity…It seeks to expand its domination…to monopoligze power, wealth, science and technology for a limited group.”
In his assessment of the global economic, social and political systems, Ahmadinejad painted a dire picture, claiming that “a limited number of countries” exploit others and that consumerism controls too many nations’ motivations. He derided “unilateralism,” “double standards” and the purportedly controlling nature of “the hegemonic powers.”
“A state of mistrust has cast its shadow on the international relations,” he proclaimed, later adding, “Today, everyone is discontented and disappointed with the current international order.”
He also spoke out about women and the family — two enterprises that he believes are in danger in nations across the globe.
“Women’s sublime role and personality as a heavenly being…and the main pillar of every society has been damaged and abused by the powerful and wealthy,” he explained, without going into greater detail.
His overall push was for a restructuring of the U.N. and greater access to influence for nations like Iran. On the economic front, he dismissed capitalism, labeling the system as inept and unable to solve the world’s problems.
“On one hand, Marxism is no longer around,” he said. “And on the other, capitalism is bogged down in a self-made quagmire.”
Watch the speech, below:
This is a breaking news story. Stay tuned for updates.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 158 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan