Bullied Teen Nominated for Homecoming Court as Hurtful Prank Becomes Unexpected ‘Hero’
Everybody knows how cruel teenagers can be, whether you’re now cautioning your children against such behavior, or were not long ago in the thick of it.
But at Ogemaw Heights High School in West Branch, Michigan, a 16-year-old girl has become an unlikely inspiration after she became the victim of an elaborate school prank at her expense, and came out on top.
Forbes contributor Bob Cook explains:
The story of Whitney Kropp’s unexpected appointment to the [homecoming court] has become a fantasy for every outsider, every nerd, every bully victim, everyone who’s ever felt out of place as a teenager, about getting the upper hand after you’ve been slapped with it.
Whitney, a 16-year-old sophomore, was surprised she made the court, given that, as she told the Detroit News, she was either scorned or ignored by her classmates for what the newspaper described as her free spirit, her black outfits and her odd hair colors, apparently not common in her town of 2,100…
As it turned out, the idea to put her on the court was a joke, one she was filled in on after her ascension, and after the boy to be paired with her turned in his own crown so he wouldn’t be seen with her. She was devastated. Lacking the telekinetic powers of Stephen King’s Carrie, Whitney, rather than seek revenge, was merely going to stay home from homecoming. [Emphasis added]
The Associated Press narrates what happened next:
Kropp told NBC the joke was particularly painful since she has been bullied for years, but thought she was past the worst of it.
“One year some kids decided to be funny, [decided] to kick me in my shins with steel-toed boots because I was different,” she said, seemingly wincing at the memory. “I felt like I wasn’t worthy…Why be a part of this community, this world, if I’m just going to be tossed around like a piece of trash?”
Rather sit idly by, members of Kropp’s community volunteered to make the teen look her best on homecoming night, and even pack the stands so she would not feel alone.
A 68-year-old grandmother offered to be her escort, but apparently the boy who once seemed ashamed to be seen with Kropp has changed his mind (he also denies those were his motivations).
After her story appeared in the local newspaper and a Facebook page dedicated to her cause garnered twice as many likes as there are people in the town, Forbes relates, the event really kicked off.
“We want to make this the best homecoming ever,” 58-year-old Rebecka Vigus told the Detroit News while waiting for the event to start. She and countless others were apparently holding signs saying “Team Whitney.”
Forbes, in an article deeming Kropp an “American hero,” concludes:
Whitney Kropp is getting the kind of high school revenge it usually takes 20 years of education, hard work and ladder-climbing to achieve, just so you can show everybody up at the class reunion. Hopefully, the Cinderella story doesn’t end at midnight after the game, with Whitney going back to being the school outcast once the stadium lights dim and the media coverage fades.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 269 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016
- Arias speaks on own behalf as jury considers death
- Red Wings beat Blackhawks to take 2-1 series lead
- China's Li seeks stronger economic ties with India
- Israel returns fire following shooting from Syria