Can You Guess Which Brand Names Are Associated With Each Candidate?
Word association games are not only amusing, they’re revealing. The words someone associates with certain persons or places speaks volumes about the respondent and it says a great deal about how things are perceived.
And a word association game involving the 2012 presidential candidates, their spouses, and brand name products is no different.
“Presidential candidates are advertised as heavily as consumer products, so it’s little surprise that voters have opinions on how President Obama and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney compare to consumer brands,” writes Martha T. Moore for USA Today.
“In a survey by Landor, a brand-identity firm, and pollsters Penn Schoen Berland, likely voters were asked to associate the two men with brand names in a variety of categories,” she explains.
What did Landor and Penn Schoen Berland hope to find with their survey?
The survey results “tell us exactly what people think they know about the candidate,” managing director of Penn Schoen Berland Billy Mann told USA Today. “Who you think you know is how you vote.”
Now keep in mind this survey reveals nothing factual about the candidates. Instead, it reveals how they’re perceived by the general public or, rather, how the general public chooses to perceive them.
So what does the survey tell us? What products do people associate with President Barack Obama and Gov. Mitt Romney?
Magazine & Game
Search Engine & Social Media
Sport & Season
Respondents associated President Obama with basketball and summer, Gov. Romney with golf (really???) and winter.
Clothing Brand & Car
Coffee & Dessert
And for good measure, the survey asked respondents to associate the spouses of both candidates with popular brands:
Spouses: Department Stores & Clothing Brand
The funny things about this survey is that the roles have been reversed from 2008. Back then, respondents associated then-Sen. Obama with “yup-scale brands” such as BMW and Terra Chips, USA Today notes. It was Sen. John McCain who was associated with the “middlebrow” brands such Ford and Cheetos.
“Four years later, the Gucci loafer is on the other foot. Compared with Romney, whose wealth has been a focus throughout the campaign, Obama is associated with middlebrow brands such as Ford, Budweiser and J.C. Penney,” Moore writes.
“It’s Romney, the survey says, whom people associate with high-end and high-life brands: Ritz Carlton, Armani and Saks Fifth Avenue,” she adds.
Again, as mentioned in the above, this is their public perception. So what does this say about how the candidate’s have been marketed to the public?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: Landor; Penn Schoen Berland; USA TODAY; photos courtesy the AP.)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 418 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute