Why Does This Texas City Want to Shut Down This Restaurant?
Citing numerous fire and safety code violations that the owner has dismissed as “baseless,” attorneys for the City of McKinney, Texas, seem determined to shut down Hank’s Texas Grill.
The 70+ violations leveled against the restaurant include state flags hung as decoration and “faded parking lot striping.”
Faded parking lines?
“Owner Ron Reynolds believes the city is making up reasons to shut down his honkytonk and is using overly aggressive police patrols to do it,” CBS DFW reports.
Considering how long the battle between the restaurant and city authorities has been going on, Reynolds may actually have a point.
“It’s very upsetting to hear they want to close our restaurant,” he said.
Reynolds sought a permanent injunction earlier this week that would keep firefighters and police off his property. But attorneys for the city claim it’s illegal for a business to sue municipalities because of code violations and asked the judge to shut down Hank’s.
“We’re just moving forward with our case and hope to get it done as soon as we can,” said City Attorney Mark Houser.
Luckily for Reynolds, the judge denied the city’s request and instead moved the restaurant’s hearing to next week.
“I would prefer to have it resolved as soon as possible but that’s between the lawyers that legal moves that they are making,” Reynolds said.
The restaurant’s owner’s desire to put this fight to rest is understandable.
“Earlier this month the court granted Reynolds a restraining order against the McKinney Police Department and others. Today the judge ruled that the temporary restraining order would stay in place for another week,” CBS DFW reports.
“But the judge also granted the police department’s request to once again allow officers to patrol the restaurant parking lot,” the report adds.
The ruling involving police patrolling his parking lot is the one that has Reynolds concerned.
“He referred to recently shot videotape that shows police officers congregating outside the restaurant, in an effort he says is meant to scare away customers,” the report continues.
“While the city denies the owner’s allegations of harassment, officers did enter the restaurant two weeks ago to investigate a bomb threat this despite the restraining order,” CBS DFW adds.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
[In response to certain reader’s concerns: this author accidentally published this story Tuesday evening before a) it had been reviewed by an editor and b) it was scheduled for release. It was taken down so that certain changes could be made (i.e. adding video) and then released at a later point Wednesday morning. Sorry for the mix-up.]
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 282 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him