‘A Campaign of Ethnic Cleansing’: Palestinian President Accuses Israel of ‘War’ & ‘Occupation’ During U.N. Address
UNITED NATIONS (TheBlaze/AP) — Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas accused Israel of ethnic cleansing Thursday for building settlements in east Jerusalem.
“It is a campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Palestinian people via the demolition of their homes,” Abbas said in his speech to the U.N. General Assembly.
Shortly after, Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rebuked Abbas in his own address to the assembly. While the majority of his speech focused upon the Iranian nuclear threat, Netanyahu also took aim at Abbas’s words and tactics.
“We won’t solve our conflict with libelous speeches at the U.N.,” Netanyahu said.
Israel conquered the eastern part of Jerusalem from Jordan during the 1967 Mideast War. It later annexed it but the move has not been internationally recognized. The Palestinians want east Jerusalem to the capital of their future state in the West Bank.
Abbas also said he has opened talks on a new bid for international recognition at the U.N., but didn’t specify exactly when he will ask the General Assembly to vote.
“Intensive consultations with the various regional organizations and the state members” were underway, he said.
The Palestinians will apply to the General Assembly for nonmember state status.
That stands in sharp contrast to last year, when they asked the Security Council to admit them as a full member state, but the bid failed.
Abbas insisted that the new quest for recognition was “not seeking to delegitimize Israel, but rather establish a state that should be established: Palestine.”
Palestinian officials said their bid is likely to be submitted on Nov. 29.
Abbas said in a speech to the assembly that efforts to win Palestine status as an observer state – a lower level than last year’s failed bid for recognition as a full state – were not intended to pose any threat to Israel.
“We are not seeking to delegitimize Israel, but rather establish a state that should be established: Palestine,” Abbas said.
However, Abbas said he was “speaking on behalf of an angry people,” who believed they were not winning their rights despite adopting a “culture of peace and international resolutions,
“Israel gets rewarded while continues the policies of war, occupation and settlements,” he said.
Abbas also accused Israel of seeking to “continue its occupation of East Jerusalem, and annex vast parts of West Bank … and refuses to discuss seriously the Palestinian refugees issue.”
He claimed that Israeli actions threatened to undermine the Palestinian Authority to the point “which could lead to its collapse.”
Palestinian officials said that their bid for recognition will likely be submitted to the General Assembly on Nov. 29, after the U.S. presidential election. Abbas has sought to avoid entangling the Palestinian statehood bid in U.S. presidential politics.
Appealing to other nations for their support, Abbas asked world leaders to help avoid a new “catastrophe” in Palestine. “Support the establishment of the free state of Palestine now, and let peace win before it’s too late,” he said.
“We have started intensive consultations with the various regional organizations and the state members in order for the General Assembly to take a decision granting the state of Palestine the status of nonmember state during this U.N. session,” he said.
At last year’s General Assembly, Abbas took center stage with his attempt to win full membership to the world body. However, that application failed to win enough support in the U.N. Security Council.
Palestinians did win membership last year of UNESCO, the Paris-based U.N. cultural agency – despite the objections of Israel and the U.S.
Watch the speech in its entirety, below:
- Netanyahu Blasts Iran & al-Qaeda in U.N. Speech: ‘The Medieval Forces of Radical Islam…Want to End the Modern World’
- Egyptian President Tells U.N.: ‘We Will Not Allow’ Insults to Islam
- Ahmadinejad Chastises ‘Uncivilized Zionists’ & Derides Capitalism in U.N. General Assembly Address
- World Leaders Take Podium at U.N. and Call for International Action to ‘Criminalize’ Blaspheming Islam
- Egyptian President: U.S. Must Respect Arab History and Culture, Even if It Conflicts With Western Values
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 477 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 393 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 334 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 282 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 198 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All Is Lost'
- Maine man appears in court in missing teen's death
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion