CNBC Host: What’s Up With the Media Ignoring Obama’s Gaffes? (And Guess How Many He’s Had in Just 2 Weeks)
The news media is more than happy to report on Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s “gaaaffes,” but what about President Obama’s? After all, the president has had some pretty serious missteps in recent weeks.
According to CNBC’s Larry Kudlow and conservative firebrand Ann Coulter, the president’s gaffes have gone unreported because, well, the press is giving him a free pass.
“It’s stunning how Obama gets this kid glove treatment from media,” said Coulter.
Kudlow noted that, if anything, the only presidential gaffe you’ll hear about is “60 Minutes” “bumps in the road” remark.
The problem with this, according to Kudlow and Coulter, is that there are many, many more gaffes where that came from [via CNBC.com]:
1) President Obama referred to Israel’s concern over Iran’s march toward a nuclear program as “noise” and then called Israel one of the nation’s closest allies in the region.
According to Kristen Silverberg, former U.S. Ambassador to the European Union, Obama’s commentary is unusual. “There has been a bi-partisan consensus for many years that the US and Israel are the closest of allies.
2) Obama’s Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi was not premeditated. The commentary directly contradicted top Libyan officials who said the attack was planned in advance.
3) President Obama stated that his biggest lesson from his first term was that “you can’t change Washington from the inside.”
4) President Obama said that Egypt was not an ally, only to then be contradicted by his own State Department.
Naturally, the Obama administration disagrees with the “blind eye” characterization from conservatives and maintains they are being given the same amount of scrutiny as the Romney campaign.
“There is a certain rather desperate attempt to grasp at words and phrases here to find political advantage,” said White House press secretary Jay Carney. “And in this case, that’s profoundly offensive.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 554 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 326 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 211 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 221 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 140 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school