Poll Shows Israelis Fear Country’s Destruction in Case of Iran War
The American delegation to the UN boycotted Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s speech to the UN General Assembly Wednesday but his words appear to be having a chilling effect on the Israeli public.
The Israeli newspaper Haaretz conducted a poll published Thursday which shows half of Israelis “fear for the state’s existence” should a war with Iran erupt. A majority of the country’s citizens believe there is a “high” or “medium” chance of a war with Iran in the coming year. The poll was published to mark the Jewish New Year – Rosh Hashanah – which was celebrated last week.
…half of Israelis say they either “fear” or “greatly fear” for the state’s continued existence if such a war breaks out.
Only a quarter of those questioned said they do not fear for the state’s future in a scenario in which Israel and Iran go to war. Something has evidently happened to Israelis’ famed self-confidence.
While the question of fear for the state’s existence has not been asked in previous opinion polls, it can reasonably be assumed that this is an exceptional finding. That should please Iran’s leaders, who have proclaimed several times recently that the Zionist state’s days are numbered.
Iranian leaders have repeatedly made genocidal threats against the Jewish state, most recently on Monday in New York when Ahmadinejad told reporters Israel has no roots in the Middle East and would be “eliminated.”
Last month, he called Israel a “cancerous tumor” that will soon be destroyed.
A politician’s bluster is one thing, but taken in context of Iran’s nuclear program that is proceeding apace and its suspected clandestine military nature, it’s not surprising the anxiety among Israelis is increasing.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has invoked the Holocaust when discussing the Iranian threat, taking at face value the ominous words coming out of Tehran along with its nuclear activity in which sanctions appear not to have made a dent. This is why the Israeli leader has been so insistent the U.S. set red lines for military action, which the Obama administration has to now refused to do.
The Wall Street Journal in a Tuesday editorial noted “four years of failed diplomacy and half-hearted sanctions that he [Pres. Obama] opposed until Congress forced his hand” and asked: “Netanyahu has to take Iran’s words seriously. Why doesn’t Obama?”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 535 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 491 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 114 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 173 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 129 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine