Gun-Wielding Thug Robs TX Carl’s Jr. Employee at Gunpoint…Restaurant Fires Employee Days Later
Fast food restaurant Carl’s Jr. is explaining itself this week after it fired an employee two days after she was held up at gunpoint, pistol-whipped and thrown in a store freezer.
According to the company, Cathy Terry was actually due to be fired the day of the robbery. Sources told WFAA-TV Terry had a history of problems, including deleting hours from employee time cards to save on overtime costs.
Terry was the general manager at a Carl’s Jr. in Mesquite, Texas when, shortly after 6 a.m. on Sept. 17, a man entered the restaurant. He shoved one employee into a walk-in cooler before holding Terry at gunpoint and ordering her to open the cash registers and the restaurant’s safe, according to WFAA-TV.
“My first thought was, ‘This is a joke.’ Really, I thought he was kidding,” Terry told the station. “And then I realized he wasn’t.”
Terry said she tried to resist, telling the gunman the safe was on a timer and she couldn’t open it herself, but he held the gun closer to her neck and face and said, “Yes you can.”
“Do you want to die for Carl’s Jr.?” Terry said he asked. That’s when she agreed to open the safe, but before leaving with the money, surveillance footage shows the man shoving Terry into the cooler along with her employee and then striking her in the back of the head with his weapon.
Terry said she was given two days off after the robbery, but when she returned to work learned that she was fired — for what she was told were unrelated reasons.
“It is unfortunate that Cathy Terry was terminated so soon after the September 17th robbery,” franchise owner RWJP Star Enterprises told WFAA in a statement. “In order to protect Ms. Terry’s privacy, the company cannot discuss the reasons for her termination, but they are totally unrelated to the robbery.”
The restaurant said it had offered counseling to Terry and to the other employee who was there at the time.
Mesquite Police Lt. Bill Hedgpeth described the attack as “brazen.” The suspect, described as six-foot-two and about 180 pounds, has not been arrested.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 307 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 259 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 139 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 197 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 137 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet