‘Stand With Us’: Thousands Gather in Prayer at Philadelphia ‘America for Jesus’ Rally
(TheBlaze/AP) — Thousands of Christians gathered Saturday on Independence Mall in Philadelphia to pray for the future of the United States in the weeks before the upcoming presidential election.
Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson and Family Research Council president Tony Perkins topped a full day of speakers at “The America for Jesus 2012″ prayer rally.
Robertson, a former Republican candidate for president, called the election important, but didn’t mention either major political party or candidate by name.
Here is a promotional video for the event:
“I don’t care what the ACLU says, or any atheists say. This nation belongs to Jesus, and we’re here today to reclaim His sovereignty,” said Robertson, 82, who founded the Christian Coalition and Christian Broadcasting Network, and ran for president in 1988.
Organizers plan another prayer rally Oct. 20 in Washington, D.C., two weeks before President Barack Obama faces Republican Mitt Romney in the presidential election.
Perkins asked the crowd to pray for elected officials, including Obama.
“We pray that his eyes will be open to the truth,” Perkins said.
A number of event organizers, though, have been vocal critics of the Democratic president.
Steve Strang, the influential Pentecostal publisher of Charisma magazine, which was distributed at the rally, has also said Obama “seems to be moving toward some form of European socialism.”
One pro-life protester was reportedly so disruptive during the prayer that Robertson intervened and said “shut your mouth,” according to philly.com.
After the protester shouted from the crowd that “Obama is sin” and everyone needs to support Mitt Romney, Robertson reiterated that “this is not political.”
Speakers throughout the day condemned abortion, gay marriage and what the Associated Press described as “population control” as practiced by Planned Parenthood.
Christian rock music filled the historic mall as speakers challenged the crowd to overcome their sins and pray for the country’s leaders.
“Jesus, we pray for America,” one man tweeted. “She was founded on the principles of God. She has been a force for good in this world. Use us still.”
The rally was held outside of Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Pennsylvania is also where evangelist George Whitefield preached during the first Great Awakening, the 18th-century religious revival that spread through the American colonies.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 146 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Japan's central bank says economy picking up
- Oil falls below $96 before Fed chief speaks