Up to 40,000 Protest Across Germany for Higher Taxes on the Wealthy
(TheBlaze/AP) — Thousands across Germany are protesting for more taxes on the wealthy, specifically for the introduction wealth and financial transaction taxes. They are also looking for higher property taxes, according to EuroNews, and for the government to crack down on tax evasion.
Organizers said Saturday around 40,000 people took to the streets in 40 different cities to demand what they believe would be a more “equal” society.
Police estimates of the turnout in the country’s biggest cities were lower than the organizers’, however.
Frankfurt police said about 4,000 took to the streets, and Cologne reported 2,000. Authorities in Berlin declined to provide an estimate, but organizers said about 5,000 protested in the country’s capital.
The organizers – including unions, civil society groups and the anti-globalization group Attac – demand a permanent tax on people’s wealth “to have rich households contribute significantly more.”
They said the tax they’re supporting would only affect the country’s wealthiest citizens, with almost 99 percent not paying additional taxes.
The rhetoric and symbolism seem to mirror American protests from the notorious group “Occupy Wall Street.” They, too, are fond of Guy Fawkes masks and discussing the “99%.”
Union leader Frank Bsirske commented: “Where does the debt come from? It comes from the bank bailouts during the bank crisis, and a tax system that favors the wealthy…”
Germany has been one of the countries keeping Europe afloat as country after country is rocked by high unemployment, high taxes, and low growth.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
- Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit