Muslims Torch, Loot Buddhist Holy Sites in Bangladesh Over Alleged Facebook Photo
(TheBlaze/AP) — Thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims angry over an alleged derogatory photo of the Quran on Facebook set fire to at least 10 Buddhist temples and 40 homes near the southern border with Myanmar, authorities said Sunday.
“I have seen 11 wooden temples, two of them 300 years old, torched by the mob. They looted precious items and Buddha statues from the temples. Shops owned by Buddhists were also looted,” local journalist Sunil Barua said, according to Russia Today.
The violence began late Saturday and continued until early Sunday, said Nojibul Islam, a police chief in the coastal district of Cox’s Bazar.
He said the situation was under control Sunday afternoon after extra security officials were deployed and the government banned public gatherings in the troubled area.
He said at least 20 people were injured in the attacks that followed the posting of a Facebook photo of a burned copy of the Quran. The rioters blamed the photo on a local Buddhist boy, though it was not immediately clear if the boy actually posted the photo.
Bangladesh’s popular English-language Daily Star newspaper quoted the boy as saying that the photo was mistakenly tagged on his Facebook profile. The newspaper reported that soon after the violence broke out, the boy’s Facebook account was closed and police escorted him and his mother to safety.
Joinul Bari, chief government administrator in Cox’s Bazar district, said authorities detained the boy’s parents and were investigating.
“We’ve called in army along with paramilitary troopers and police who were constantly guarding the areas to ward off any further violence,” Bari assured.
Bangladeshi Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice, and reportedly told Bangladeshi media: “The attack was conducted in a coordinated manner. Temples and houses were set on fire using patrol and gun powder. It would have been impossible if the attacks were not planned.”
Buddhists make up less than 1 percent of Muslim-majority Bangladesh’s 150 million people.
The Bangladeshi violence follows protests that erupted in Muslim countries over the past month, beginning largely in Egypt and Libya on September 11.
Some two dozen demonstrators have been killed in protests that attacked symbols of U.S. and the West, including diplomatic compounds, and the protests appear to be spreading.
- ‘All We Have is Muhammad’: Muslim Protests Spread to Greece
- Judge Orders Man Behind Anti-Islam Film ‘Innocence of Muslims’ Jailed
- Latest Protests Against Depictions of Muhammad
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 512 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 445 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Colorado killer's reprieve sharply criticized
- Taiwan's Wu confirms he'll run for IOC presidency
- US, Israel raise hopes for Mideast peace restart
- Jury in Jodi Arias trial resumes deliberations
- Nixon library hosts 40th reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Bangladesh: Owners' many failings led to collapse
- UK emergency committee meets after attack
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal