Scarborough Doubles Down on Incorrect Romney Chant Video: Mitt Looks ‘Goofy…Without Our Help’
MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough doubled down this morning on a video tape he aired on his show “Morning Joe” last week that turned out to be something other than what he said it was.
The tape in question shows Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and running mate Paul Ryan at a campaign event. The crowd is chanting what we’ve since learned to be “Romney! Romney” when Romney says “Romney-Ryan, Romney Ryan!” Subtitles on the Morning Joe version of the tape showed the crowed actually chanting “Ryan! Ryan!” The panelists mocked Romney, suggesting he was being overshadowed by Ryan.
Here’s the clip from MSNBC:
A closer listen to the tape shows the crowd is indeed chanting “Romney!” and several people who attended the event confirmed as much to TheBlaze.
“So this weekend, a website started the weekend suggesting that our staff had doctored a tape to invent a story that would make Mitt Romney look goofy,” Scarborough said today. “Well, we didn’t. And to to tell you the truth, Mitt kind of looks goofy when he’s campaigning without our help.”
Scarborough went on to explain the controversy, which he addressed on Twitter this weekend. “So this is how some people spent their weekend: Running two seconds of tape … through audio filters to figure out if people are saying Romney or Ryan in 1.8 seconds.”
Here are the tweets Scarborough fired off:
Note: TheBlaze didn’t run any clips through audio filters and we’ve been unable to locate any clips that were. Furthermore, we never accused MSNBC or Scarborough of “doctoring” any clips. We’ve requested comment from MSNBC and will update if they respond.
UPDATE: The National Review Online does have a video clip of the Romney rally in which the audio has been tinkered with to boost the crowd chant and minimize background noise.
Scarborough then played the clip his show aired last week, this time without the subtitles.
“I heard Ryan there,” Scarborough said. “It’s all awkward. And by the way, when [Romney] says, ‘he’s quite a guy, isn’t it?’ It just looked goofy. That’s what I was laughing at.”
Scarborough then played C-SPAN’s own video from the same event. Here it is:
“You’ll notice in both clips, Mitt looks just as goofy which caused me to react in mock horror,” Scarborough said after the clip.
“People there heard Romney. Other people heard Ryan. Our staff heard Ryan in the clip that we get fed from NBC, unfiltered. We ran it. Politico heard ‘Ryan’ as well and they reported it that way around 5:30, after the event, which was what our staff followed. Later the New York Times wrote that the crowd was chanting ‘Romney,’ then they followed with a correction that it’s kind of hard to figure out what it was. Anyway, this began the great debate among the Cheetos brigade as to whether I, a man who has declared that he’s voting for Mitt Romney, is trying to throw the election by doctoring a tape and cracking a joke. Really guys? Your conspiracy is getting out of hand. …”
Scarborough then cited a blog post on the conservative blog Hot Air that defended him.
He finished with a final jab at his detractors: “Guys if you want to help Mitt Romney get elected, put down the Cheetos, get out of your mom’s basement and call your friends. Tell them why Mitt Romney should be president. Because these conspiracy theories aren’t helping Mitt, Paul or the Republican party. And at the end of the day, it just looks silly.”
Here’s the full segment from today’s “Morning Joe”:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 510 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 473 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 218 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend