A Campus Staffer Explains What They Think That Mysterious Debate ‘Thud’ Was
TheBlaze already told you about the loud thud that interrupted the U.S. presidential debate on Thursday evening. The unidentified noise was so pronounced that it caused President Barack Obama to turn around to see where it was coming from. This morning, we began making calls to determine the origins of the mysterious ”thud.”
In a phone conversation with TheBlaze, Allan Wilson, a staff member with the University of Denver facilities management, said that the sound likely resulted from an error with the debate’s staging.
“I wasn’t back stage,” Wilson said. “But it’s been reported that a piece of staging fell from behind the stage.”
Wilson forwarded TheBlaze to the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), the governing body for the presidential debates and the organization that would be able to provide more details about what unfolded. We have reached out to the commission and will post their response as soon as it is received.
As reported, the show-stopping sound occurred last night around 10:07 p.m. ET, briefly interrupting the debate. The “thud” seemed to come from behind the stage, where the candidates were jockeying back and forth on domestic issues.
The brief moment of uncertainty did little to dissuade Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who was speaking at the time. For a split-second, he acknowledged that he heard the noise, then promptly continued speaking.
Watch below and listen for the bizarre noise — and the candidates’ reaction, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 392 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 322 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 278 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals