‘I Guess I’m Known as an Obama Supporter’: MSNBC’s Chris Matthews Finally Admits It
During his MSNBC show on Thursday, Chris Matthews set out to cover for President Barack Obama who, by nearly every measurement, was outperformed by GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in the first presidential debate on Wednesday.
“I guess I’m known as an Obama supporter,” he finally admitted, not exactly an earth-shattering revelation. “And I certainly wanted him to do well last night.”
Remember, this is the same person who got a “thrill” up his leg listening to Obama speak and had an on-air freak-out on Wednesday night after Romney outperformed Obama in the debate. He also previously argued the president has “never done anything wrong” and said the First Family is nearly “perfect.”
Still, Matthews willingly admitted that Obama’s debate performance was lackluster and lacking in “passion.”
But the MSNBC host was quick in getting back to praising the commander-in-chief:
“I do look up to him in so many ways. And when I’m with him, I do say to myself — and I do this really objectively, I think — I listen to him after he’s briefed on something and I think, ‘this guy ought to be president.’ He has the command of the issues. He has scope. He has relevance. He can talk to you as a regular person in common English, as well as the wonk talk. He’s got an I.Q. that must be in the hundred and whatever range — way up there. And yet last night he was tongue-tied. He let the other guy own the room.”
Matthews also said because Obama didn’t respond to Romney’s attacks effectively during the debate, he would set the record straight. Nearly all of “Hardball” on Thursday was dedicated to accusing Romney of being “inaccurate” and telling lies.
“Mitt Romney lied his ass off,” panelist Ron Reagan said, the son of former President Ronald Reagan.
Salon’s Joan Walsh said Romney was “prepared” and did very well in the debate, however, he “lied” and regularly says “whatever it takes” to win.
In a later portion of his show, Matthews accused Romney of not giving a “rat’s behind” about 47 percent of the country, referring to his infamous “47 percent” remarks and said Obama should have capitalized on the comments.
Unfortunately, MSNBC did not cut the video of Obama finally admitting he is “known as an Obama supporter.” In all seriousness, Matthews has probably admitted before that he is on the Obama bandwagon. Either way, it’s certainly no secret which candidate he favors.
You can watch some of Thursday’s edition of “Hardball” via MSNBC below:
Front page image via AP.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 514 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom