KitchenAid Tweets Joke About Obama’s Dead Grandmother During the Debate
Home appliance brand KitchenAid was forced into damage control mode late Wednesday after a joke about President Barack Obama’s late grandmother was sent from the company’s official Twitter account.
“Obama’s gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! ‘She died 3 days b4 he became president!’ #nbcpolitics,” the tweet said.
Obama brought up his grandmother during Wednesday night’s presidential debate and credited her with helping to raise him. She died three days before he was elected president.
Moments later, the tweet was deleted and replaced with an apology:
“Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand’s opinion. #nbcpolitics.”
Shortly after midnight, Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid’s senior director of marketing, took over the company’s Twitter account to apologize further:
Soledad followed up with a statement to CNN explaining further, calling the tweet “offensive and tasteless.”
“During the debate tonight, a member of our Twitter team mistakenly posted an offensive tweet from the KitchenAid handle instead of a personal handle. The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won’t be tweeting for us anymore,” … I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error,” the statement said.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 543 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 496 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 331 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 311 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 180 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 201 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 136 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school
- Arias foreman: Sentencing decision unfair to jury
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Netflix looks to hook subscribers with 'Arrested'
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't