Famous Immigrant Activist Jose Antonio Vargas Reportedly Arrested in Minnesota
Well known journalist and immigration activist Jose Antonio Vargas, who also happens to be an illegal alien, was arrested at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport for driving without a valid drivers license on Friday, ABC News reports, citing the non-profit organization MinnPost.
Vargas was taken into police custody on Friday morning but was reportedly released by mid-afternoon. He was charged with a misdemeanor and is scheduled to appear in Hennepin County court on Oct. 18.
From ABC News:
Hennepin County participates in the Secure Communities program, which allows local law enforcement agencies to cooperate with the federal government in enforcing immigration law by checking arrestees against immigration databases. Immigration and Customs Enforcement could act if the individual is found to be undocumented. Other details about Vargas’ arrest are unknown.
Originally from the Philippines, Vargas gained national attention for his June 2011 New York Times essay titled “My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant.” In the essay, he describes what living as an illegal immigrant is like in the United States, though Vargas is an outspoken critic of using the term “illegal immigrant.”
Vargas also appeared on the cover of Time Magazine along with dozens of other illegal aliens. The cover read “We Are Americans — Just Not Legally.” He publicly “came out” as an illegal immigrant last year.
This story is developing and may be updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 475 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 382 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 320 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 192 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado