Latest Debate Excuse: Romney Cheated By Using Secret Notes
Denial is often fingered as one of the first stages of grief, and on some liberal blogs, that appears to be precisely the reaction that is setting in with regard to Mitt Romney’s debate performance this past Wednesday night. Having accused Romney of lying because he contradicted Obama administration talking points and attacked moderator Jim Lehrer for letting Romney control the debate, the Left is now claiming that Romney cheated during the debate.
The source of their complaint is a brief moment during the debate where Romney is seen to put his hand in his pocket and pull something out — something that the Daily Kos suspects of being hidden notes.
From the diary posted on Kos’s website today:
Mitt takes something out of his pocket and tosses it on the podium. It seems as if he maybe using his body to try and screen the movement. It’s very fast, the whole thing is over by 0:00:12.
Yes it could be a hanky. But it falls kind of heavy, and stays uniform in it’s fold. Plus it is flat. I have never seen a man’s hanky be so uniform and flat coming from a front pant’s pocket. Back pocket, yes, breast pocket in a jacket, yes.. but not the front pant pocket.
He was also wearing make up and to wipe any sweat from his face with a hanky would have taken off his make up. Plus remember that old saying “Never let them see you sweat?” If he was seen to wipe sweat from his brow, the optics would have been very bad (“Obama makes him nervous, he can’t stand up to him.”)[...]
I’m NOT saying it is crib/cheat notes .. but I am saying it’s a possibility.
It’s also Mitt “I never found a loophole I didn’t exploit” Romney, who may have committed a felony on his taxes.
This unfalsifiable theory of malfeasance picked up steam for a little while on other blogs, such as Democratic Underground and the Daily Beast, before Buzzfeed shot it down – -not only was the object definitely a handkerchief, but there was actual video evidence of Romney using it:
But according to a Romney aide the object was simply a handkerchief, not an illicit list of zingers.
“It’s a handkerchief,” the aide said simply in response to the post.
Romney can be seen at another moment in the debate using the handkerchief.
Buzzfeed has labeled this faux-controversy the “conspiracy theory of the day,” and it’s easy to see why. The obsession over the details of how the handkerchief folded, and which pocket Romney took it from show how thoroughly impossible to debunk it actually is, short of having a debate podium camera that could snap a picture of what Romney put down. However, given the amount of time Romney spent looking directly at President Obama, even when he (Romney) wasn’t the one speaking, it’s difficult to see how he would have used such a list, and even more dubious that he would have needed such a list.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 577 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 303 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 263 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81