Columbia Professor Mocks Columbus Day With List of ’15 Most Overrated White People’
In honor of Columbus Day, Marc Lamont Hill, associate professor of English education at Columbia University, HuffPost Live host and political commentator, penned an op-ed on Monday in which he lists the “15 most overrated white people” — a very interesting way to observe the national holiday.
“Today, our nation engages in one of its most bizarre cultural rituals: the celebration of Columbus Day as a national holiday. Although history proves that Christopher Columbus was an immoral treasure hunter who merely stumbled upon a region that had already been ‘discovered’ by indigenous non-whites, we continue to praise the vicious conquistador as a hero,” Hill writes in his blog post published on the Huffington Post.
“To honor the true spirit of Columbus Day, I have created my own list of overrated white people. Of course, this list is not exhaustive, as there are countless other White people who are equally underwhelming,” he continues.
The list includes Ronald Reagan, Elvis Presley, Justin Bieber, Tim Tebow, President Obama’s economic team, William Shakespeare, Eminem and even former President Bill Clinton.
It’s not just that Hill feels he must single out “white people” in his blog post but he also insists on comparing a number of them to African-Americans, suggesting an “us against them” mentality on the issue of race.
Here’s just a taste of his list:
“Tebow’s celebrity — despite the fact that he couldn’t beat out mediocre Mark Sanchez for a starting spot — proves an old football axiom: Black men throw interceptions; White men are ‘gunslingers,’” Hill writes.
On Justin Bieber: “Sure, the kid can sing and dance. But is he better than dozens of black R&B singers? Nope.”
“Elvis didn’t write his own songs (despite taking credit for them), barely played the guitar, and was a worse actor than the entire cast of Belly. Despite being a cheap facsimile of Little Richard, he is still known as the ‘King of Rock ‘n Roll.’ Only in America…”
As previously mentioned, he also jabbed at some of his Democratic allies like Clinton and President Obama’s economic team.
“Black folk regularly regard Clinton as a messianic figure. He may have been better than Bush, but Slick Willie was far from a savior,” Hill writes.
“Obama’s closest economic advisors have continued to push forward a business-as-usual strategy that continues to reward big business, stimulate the wealthy, undermine fair trade, and deny the possibility of living wages for poor people around the globe.”
To read Hill’s entire list of overrated white people, click here.
Front page image via Facebook. Carousel image courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Campus Reform)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 514 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 219 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election