President Obama Assures Audience Green Energy Is Not a ‘Socialist Plot’
At a $25,000-a-plate fundraiser in Los Angeles Sunday evening, President Barack Obama assured donors that his administration’s pricey and oftentimes risky involvement in the “green” energy is not part of a “socialist plot,” The Hill reports.
“On energy, I’m big on oil and gas, and developing clean coal technology, but I also believe that if we’re ever going to have control of our energy future, then we’ve got to invest in solar and wind and biofuels, and that it does make sense for us to double our fuel-efficiency standards on cars,” the president told an audience that included noted actor George Clooney.
“And that’s not a socialist plot for us to reduce our energy usage,” the president said to laughter, according to the transcript. “It’s the smart thing to do. It’s right for our national energy. It’s right for our economy. It’s right for the environment. [Romney] disagrees.”
Although the president’s remarks weren’t entirely specific, he was probably referring to the Romney campaign’s response to “new auto mileage rules for model years 2017-2025 that will ultimately require automakers to build cars and light trucks with a fleet-wide average of 54.5 miles-per-gallon,” The Hill notes.
The Romney campaign called these new rules “extreme,” and claimed they will “limit the choices available to American families.”
But there’s something else that should be noted: President Obama’s remarks to supporters in L.A. seem to imply Romney is anti-alternative energy. This isn’t entirely accurate.
Indeed, based on the energy plan put out by the Romney campaign, it would be more accurate to say the Romney campaign simply disagrees with how President Obama has approached it.
“[Romney] will allow the wind credit to expire, end the stimulus boondoggles, and create a level playing field on which all sources of energy can compete on their merits. Wind energy will thrive wherever it is economically competitive, and wherever private sector competitors with far more experience than the president believe the investment will produce results,” said Romney spokesman Shawn McCoy.
“The goal of my energy policy is straightforward: guarantee America the most affordable and reliable supply in the world,” Romney’s platform said.
“In place of real energy, Obama has focused on an imaginary world where government-subsidized windmills and solar panels could power the economy. This vision has failed … as president, I will unleash American innovation and productivity to make full use of our natural resources,” the platform adds.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo courtesy the AP.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 449 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 428 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 317 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 126 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback