Dentist Ordered to Pay Christian Ex-Employee $348,000 After ‘Badgering’ Her to Attend Scientology Conference
A dentist in Bend, Oregon, is in hot water after the state labor department ruled that he must pay nearly $348,000 to a former employee in a religious discrimination complaint that was waged against him. According to media accounts, Dr. Andrew W. Engel ordered an employee to attend a three-day, Scientology-affiliated conference — something the hygienist was adamantly and vocally opposed to.
Susan Muhleman, the former employee at AWE Dental Spa, claims she was threatened with termination if she failed to comply with the demand. Rather than attending — something she contended would conflict with her Christian beliefs — she quit her position with Engel’s practice.
In the end, the decision to leave her position was a difficult one, especially considering that Muhleman claims to be the only person working full-time in her family at the time. In November 2009, she complained to the labor department’s civil rights division, which commenced the investigation.
“It weighed very heavy on me to have to make a decision like that for the future of my family,” she said of her choice to quit, according to Religion News Service (RNS).
The Bureau of Labor and Industries ended up siding with Muhleman, claiming that Engel “badgered” her about the conference and ignored her claims about her own personal faith and its conflict with Scientology. According to investigators, the dentist also turned down his employee’s request that she attend a secular conference instead.
The ordeal, Muhleman said, left her with lost income, a dearth of health care benefits and the need to leave Oregon so that she could find another job in a different state, KPTV-TV reports. The monies ordered to her will apparently cover her lost income, relocation expenses and emotional distress caused as a result of the incident.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 477 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 392 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 331 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 282 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 198 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All Is Lost'
- Maine man appears in court in missing teen's death
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion