Have You Seen Obama’s New Bombastic Big Bird Ad? No, Really (UPDATED)
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney during last week’s debate with President Barack Obama said that he would scale back government subsidies to public entities such as Amtrak and PBS.
“I’m sorry, Jim, I’m going to stop the subsidy to PBS … I like PBS, I love Big Bird, I actually like you, too,” Romney said to debate moderator and former anchor of the PBS “NewsHour” Jim Lehrer, “but I’m not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for.”
Oddly enough, somewhere between the beginning and the end of that sentence, someone on the Obama re-election staff decided that they should make Big Bird a permanent fixture on the campaign trail.
“For all you moms and kids out there, don’t worry, somebody is finally getting tough on Big Bird. Elmo, you better make a run for it,” President Obama told a crowd last Friday. “Gov. Romney is going to let Wall Street run wild again, but he’s going to bring the hammer down on ‘Sesame Street.’”
No, really. This is actually a campaign talking point.
Even Former White House Press Sec. Robert Gibbs has gotten in on the action: “The only thing [Romney] outlined that he would cut in the budget is Big Bird. He’s taking the battle straight to Sesame Street and let Wall Street run hog wild.”
Really, someone on Team Obama thinks this is a good line of attack. So good, in fact, that the official campaign of the President of the United States of America on Tuesday released an ad accusing the former Massachusetts governor of having it in for the eight-foot-tall puppet:
Final Thought — Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: “If you don’t have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run away from. You make a big election about small things.”
UPDATE — Shortly after the Obama campaign released the Big Bird ad Tuesday morning, Sesame Workshop issued the following statement:
Sesame Workshop is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization and we do not endorse candidates or participate in political campaigns. We have approved no campaign ads, and as is our general practice, have requested that the ad be taken down.
For those of you keeping score at home, that’s the second time this week the Obama campaign has been publicly scolded for using unapproved material in a campaign ad.
UPDATE II– Deputy White House Communications Director Jen Psaki on Tuesday told the press gaggle on Air Force One the Obama campaign would “review” Sesame Workshop’s request [emphasis added]:
Reporter: I feel a little odd saying this, but I have two questions about Big Bird. (Laughter.) The first is that as you know, Sesame Street has asked for the ad to be pulled on the grounds that it’s not a political organization and doesn’t want to be drawn into this kind of debate. Will the campaign honor it and pull down that ad?
Ms. Psaki: We have received that request. We’re reviewing it. I will say it doesn’t change the fact that there’s only one candidate in this race who is going to continue to fight for Big Bird and Elmo, and he is riding on this plane.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo courtesy the AP. This story has been updated.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 319 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 183 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 314 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senator: Assaults let military culture continue
- WHO: Scientific red tape mars efforts vs. virus
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Wyden: FracFocus a 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Heat, Pacers say Game 2 should be even better
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Kids, teachers from devastated school reunite
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener