Israeli Lawmaker: Obama Has ‘Not Been a Friend of Israel’
JERUSALEM (TheBlaze/AP) — A lawmaker from the Israeli prime minister’s party is in the United States ahead of the presidential election — and he’s speaking his mind.
Rather than shying away from addressing controversial policy disagreements he has with President Barack Obama, he said today that the president has “not been a friend of Israel” and that his administration doesn’t understand some of the issues that are at play in the Middle East.
Danny Danon, chairman of Likud’s international outreach branch, said in Chicago on Tuesday that Obama’s policies have been “catastrophic.”
He also says he is not interfering in the presidential race but merely stating his personal opinion. He has previously praised Republican candidate Mitt Romney.
Danon said he will also travel to Florida and New York to promote his new book, “Israel: The Will to Prevail,” and to meet with Republican and Democratic leaders. Philly.com has more about one of the arguments presented in Danon’s controversial book:
Danon’s argument is simple: About 40 years of U.S. attempts by Obama and previous presidents to broker a peace in the Mideast that includes a Palestinian state have failed and should be abandoned. “Being a member of a group,” he writes, “does not ipso facto mean you should have a state.” He proposes, instead, a “three-state solution. This would entail a regional agreement with Jordan, Egypt, and Israel that would give Palestinians land and other rights across these areas – not land to form a distinct Palestinian state.”
Last month, the Israeli politician also took aim at the Obama administration’s Iran policy, calling it a failure that has yielded poor results. Rather than preventing the Middle Eastern nation from recognizing its nuclear goals, the U.S. government’s current policies have purportedly done little to temper the situation.
“It is a failure because you look at the results and you don’t give a grade A for effort, and the result is that Iranians continue to build the reactors, Ahmadinejad is coming to the U.N. every year,” Danon said in an interview with Newsmax.TV. “He’s actually laughing at us because we talk, we write reports, but he goes back to Iran and he’s continued with enriching of the uranium and building their reactors.”
The politician’s most recent comments could be embarrassing to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has been trying to shed accusations that he favors his longtime friend Romney in the race for the White House.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 396 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 289 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93