Autoshop Workers Take Customer’s Car on Secret Joyride…but This Recording Captured It All
The YouTube user William Clark, a South Carolina man who owns a 2010 Chevy Camaro, asks if you have “ever felt cheated, lied to, put upon, and taken advantage of” at a car dealership or auto repair shop? He felt he had been burned by a dealer making repairs on his car in the past, but had no proof.
The last time he had to take his sports car into the shop though, he installed a recording device. And while you may think this paranoid, even with his previous history of feeling cheated, after listening to the audio, you’ll find he was completely justified.
Clark explains that he brought his Camaro to the Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C., after he began to hear gears of the vehicle grinding at parking lot speeds and up to 35 miles per hour.
The audio he recorded during the time the vehicle was out of his hand reveals not only that his car was taken for a joyride by service center workers, but also that they had devised a scheme for how they would charge him and General Motors for the clutch they themselves had damaged.
I made it clear what the symptoms were. Yet the Service Manager and his crew took the car for a twenty minute, tire squealing, drive it like you stole it, all out thrashing. They Launched the car over and over again. They did high speed low gear decelereactions.
Clark said the level to which they drove the car was harder in 20 minutes than he had driven it in his years of ownership.
Listen to what he recorded, which he distilled to less than five minutes of audio (Warning: Some strong language):
Clark says he took the evidence to the dealer’s fixed operations director, who didn’t acknowledge wrongdoing, but said he would take a look at the car, potentially make the repairs for free and suggested a possible trade in.
“He is trying to sell me a car because mine is DAMAGED now!!” Clark wrote. “They burned the clutch up, then tried to sell me a clutch, and then two days later bill GM for the same work. Then the Fixed Operations Director tried to sell me a car and convince me that HIS mechanics actions were acceptable trouble shooting practice. He had ample opportunity to do the honorable, decent thing.”
Clark took his issue all the way to the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center (CAC), who told him it was a dealership problem.
Yahoo!’s Auto blog reports being contacted by a lawyer from the dealership who said the video was “misleadingly edited.” Clark himself has been threatened with a lawsuit over the recording. Yahoo! contacted General Motors, which not only confirmed that the audio was authentic but also said it was ”actively working closely with the dealer to resolve this situation to the customer’s satisfaction.”
Clark suggests the dealership purchase his vehicle, make the repairs and sell it themselves.
Read Clark’s full account in his video description here.
This isn’t the first time we’ve brought you evidence of sports cars being taken for an illegal spin. Earlier this year, TheBlaze reported about an undercover investigation conducted by a Florida news station that showed a long-term parking lot owner was abusing cars left in his possession.
Update: The audio was deleted from YouTube for an unknown reason.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 285 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan