‘Largest-Ever’ Joint American-Israeli Air Defense Drill Starts in Just Two Weeks
The much anticipated American-Israeli joint military drill is set to begin in just two weeks, an Israeli army source says. TheBlaze reported in January on the original plans for the exercise – dubbed Austere Challenge 12 – which had been planned for last spring but was then postponed until this fall.The scope of the forces participating was also significantly scaled back, with Time reporting in August that Washington was “slashing by more than two-thirds the number of American troops going to Israel and reducing both the number and potency of missile-interception systems at the core of the joint exercise.”
Still, it’s being called in Israeli media reports the “largest-ever” joint U.S.-Israeli defense drill and will begin on October 21.
Yediot Aharonot reports that U.S. military officers have begun arriving in Israel in preparation for the larger landing of military personnel on October 14. It also reports that among the hardware to be tested are the Arrow anti-ballistic missile batteries and Iron Dome interception systems.
The Jerusalem Post provides more details:
On October 14, large numbers of American soldiers are expected to begin arriving in Israel, where they will set up aerial defense positions on Israeli territory and on US Navy vessels off the Israeli coastline.
The three-week drill will simulate various missile defense scenarios, and is expected to end with a live-fire interception of a decoy incoming Patriot missile.
One of the objectives of the drill is to facilitate the rapid deployment of US missile defense systems to Israel and test their ability to operate in conjunction with Israeli defense systems during a conflict.
The talk of a possible Israeli strike on Iran’s nuclear program continues, and on Tuesday Foreign Policy quoted an unnamed source who said that one option being discussed is “a joint U.S.-Israeli surgical strike targeting Iranian enrichment facilities.”
The IDF Spokesman emphasizes the joint drill was planned long ago and is not related to the news of the week, telling the Post that “the US and Israel hold regular joint exercises between the militaries.” The IDF also insists that the drill is “unrelated to any pinpoint developments in the region.”
Coincidence or not, simultaneously on October 21, the Israeli Home Front Command is holding a nation-wide emergency drill testing rescue services’ response to an earthquake. That exercise is called “Turning Point 6,” in which – as Yediot Aharonot reports – Home Front forces will be drilled, along with police and emergency medical services, simulating their response to an earthquake. Though incoming missiles are not the main focus of that exercise, the paper reports that rescue services’ procedure when responding to buildings damaged by earthquakes and incoming missiles is similar.
Military sources tell Yediot “There is no connection between the two exercises, the overlapping date is coincidental.” [Hebrew link].
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 335 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 157 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 202 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 145 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 100 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
- IRS official Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- Iran expands nuke technology
- Complaint accuses Exxon Mobil of anti-gay bias
- Douglas, Damon dramatize a steamy show-biz affair
- Germans, French eye plan to create jobs for young
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury