Liberal Christian Group Begs AP to Stop Using ‘Illegal Immigrant’: A ‘Dehumanizing Term’ That ‘Robs People of Their Dignity’
Sojourners, Pastor Jim Wallis’ progressive organization and media outlet, is circulating a petition to encourage supporters to convince The Associated Press, a news-wire service, to stop using the supposedly-dehumanizing term “illegal.”
This morning, an e-mail was distributed to supporters, blaming the media, in part, for the nation’s failure to “change the national debate on immigration.” At the center of Sojourners’ claims is that the media unfairly label undocumented immigrants as “illegal.”
From a denotative standpoint, though, this is the legal term for individuals who are not natural-born citizens and who have failed to go through the proper channels to enter and remain in the U.S. legally. Even Dictionary.com defines “illegal alien” as “a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country’s authorization.”
But Sojourners maintains that the word “illegal” is a “dehumanizing term” that “robs people of their dignity.”
In an e-mail to supporters, Wallis’ group also maintains that when outlets like the AP use the term, it “prejudices readers against the needs and concerns of our immigrant brothers and sisters.” Because reporters and journalists generally rely upon the “Associated Press Stylebook” to guide them when it comes to crafting stories, Sojourners is particularly frustrated with the fact that the book tells reporters “illegal immigrant” is still acceptable.
On a web page setup to allow supporters to e-mail David Minthorn, the AP’s deputy standards editor and co-editor of the stylebook, with their concerns, the outlet presents the following letter for supporters to sign:
Dear Mr. Minthorn,
As people of faith we believe that each person is created in God’s image, and the dignity of all people must be protected. Language is a powerful tool that is never neutral. Descriptions shape perceptions. Words are used to persuade.
The use of the term “illegal immigrant” to describe immigrants living in the U.S. without documentation is degrading and inappropriate. The label assigns a status to the whole individual, rather than speaking to a particular aspect of their situation.
Given the authority and influence of the AP Stylebook in setting standards for media outlets across the country and around the world, I am writing to urge the AP to stop using the term “illegal immigrant” to describe undocumented immigrants and revise the guidance offered by the AP Stylebook when it comes to this term.
[City, State ZIP]
In making its appeal to encourage a softer tone when it comes to undocumented individuals, Sojourners invoked scripture in its letter urging people to participate in the the e-mail blitz. The outlet highlighted Proverbs 15:1, which reads, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
The e-mail concludes by calling for the “controversial” word to be removed from the AP’s media manifesto so that “a more compassionate and accurate conversation about immigration” can take form. In September, journalist Jose Antonio Vargas, himself an illegal immigrant, delivered a similar challenge to the AP.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 440 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 435 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 379 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 212 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Roger Ailes: Obama admin creating ‘McCarthy era’ ‘climate of press intimidation’
- Obama State Dept: London cleaver attack was ‘senseless violence,’ not terrorism
- Oops: ‘Weiner for Mayor’ logo featured skyline of the wrong city
- And now, a word from Newt
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- UN nuke agency's Iran probe driven by US-led intel
- With symbolic ribbon cutting, NJ shore is open
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Correction: Mozambique-UN story
- Obama's speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
- Explosion hits heart of Afghan capital
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- Egypt: 3 women killed in 'honor' crime