Whoops: Florida Gov. Accidentally Issues Sex Hotline Number Instead of Meningitis Call Center
With 137 cases and 12 reported deaths due to rare fugal meningitis, health officials and politicians have been issuing warnings and providing informational resources to communities. Florida Gov. Rick Scott was doing this during a cabinet meeting Wednesday when he slipped on one digit that ended up sending callers to an adult hotline, instead of the health department.
WUSF news reports that it posted the 866 number that was supposed to lead to the state’s toll-free, 24-hour hotline established for the meningitis outbreak and were quickly notified by readers that there had been a mistake.
Contacting the governor’s office, the station was informed Scott had misspoken. A spokesperson for the governor said it was an inadvertent mistake and that the correct number for the Florida Fungal Meningitis Hotline (866-523-7339) was given out at the same meeting.
Tampa Bay Online reports there being six cases of the deadly form of meningitis in Florida within Marion County.
New Jersey was the 10th state to report at least one illness Tuesday. The other states involved in the outbreak are Tennessee, Michigan, Virginia, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio.
Officials have tied the outbreak to steroid shots for back pain. The steroid was made by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts. At least one contaminated vial was found at the company.
This form of meningitis not be spread from person to person, according to the CDC, but those who may have received back or join injections of the New England Compounding Center’s methylprednisolne acetate since May 21, 2012, could be at risk.
The company recalled the steroid that was sent to clinics in 23 states, and later recalled everything it makes. NECC’s recall of all its products was voluntary.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 346 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 168 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 207 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 141 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 101 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Blake Shelton putting together Okla. benefit show
- 2 infants among 10 kids killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Beatles' lyrics headed for British Library
- House Republicans promote 20-week abortion ban
- Sathwik Karnik wins National Geographic Bee
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- 'BOOM TOWN BABY': African stock markets see gains
- Russian drunk driver who killed orphans sentenced