5 Things to Watch for During Tonight’s Vice Presidential Debate
(TheBlaze/AP) — Tonight’s highly-anticipated debate between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican hopeful Paul Ryan promises to be an animated — or, at the least, informative — display. With much at stake for both campaigns, Biden and Ryan will need to defend Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s proposed policies, while taking pointed aim at one another.
For Ryan, first impressions will mean the world — and for Biden, taking Romney and Ryan down a notch after the first presidential debate results favored the Republican candidate is a must. Considering these elements, here are five things to watch for when Biden and Ryan meet in the vice presidential debate Thursday night:
1. BIDEN UNBOUND: Look for Biden to go on the offensive in hopes of regaining ground lost by President Barack Obama’s lackluster debate performance. An experienced debater, Biden is comfortable with the attack dog role. But the vice president has a history of freewheeling, foot-in-mouth moments. Will he commit another gaffe?
2. RYAN’S DEBUT: This is the Wisconsin congressman’s first time on the national debate stage. As House Budget Committee chairman, he’s a whiz on federal spending and tax policy. His knowledge of foreign policy and national security isn’t as deep. Watch to see whether his hours of practice result in polished and punchy — not wonky — answers.
3. BATTLE OF THE AGES: It’s youth vs. experience. At 42, Ryan is the same age as Biden’s younger son. Ryan suggests the generational divide gives him an edge over 69-year-old Biden and wider appeal. But Biden’s an energetic performer who prides himself on an ability to connect with regular folks.
4. NUMBERS GAME: Expect to hear lots about the House Republican budget plan written by Ryan. Biden’s sure to criticize Ryan’s spending cuts and Medicare proposal as too extreme. However, Romney’s plans are somewhat different from Ryan’s past proposals — and that’s something the Republican vice presidential hopeful may need to illustrate.
5. THE MODERATOR: Jim Lehrer’s laid-back approach in the first presidential debate was widely panned. This time Martha Raddatz of ABC News runs the show. Look for her to ask sharper questions and more aggressively rein in the candidates. The veteran war correspondent has joked that it might be wise to wear body armor for the job.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 520 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 447 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Solar plane completes 2nd leg of trip in Texas
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- Japan gyrations underline economy's vulnerability
- US equities sell-off goes on; futures slump
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival