RNC Chair & CNN Anchor Brawl Over Romney Comment — Ends in Accusation of Media Bias
Chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus on Thursday got into a bit of a testy exchange with CNN’s Soledad “Talking Points Memo” O’Brien, the former accusing the latter of treating left-of-center issues with kid gloves.
The back-and-forth was sparked by O’Brien questioning Priebus over Paul Ryan recently telling reporters that voters would find out more about the Romney campaign’s stance on abortion during the debates.
“I see the flap over this ‘Des Moines Register’ question, but, there’s nothing there there,” Priebus told O’Brien, noting that both Romney and Ryan have expressed their pro-life views on numerous occasions.
“You don’t think so?” asked the perpetually furrow-browed O’Brien. “Well, let’s walk through that because I doubt everybody knows it. So, let’s play a little bit of what Mitt Romney said to the ‘Des Moines Register.’ Because people are talking about it. So, I’m not sure there’s no ‘there there.’ Let’s play that first.”
The CNN anchor then proceeded to show an extremely short and heavily-edited clip of Romney talking about how he wouldn’t “pursue any legislation regarding abortion,” followed up by a seemingly contradictory quote from Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul, and then concluded with a clip of the GOP candidate saying he’d defund Planned Parenthood.
“So, ‘I’m going to remove funding from Planned Parenthood from my budget,’” O’Brien said, quoting Romney. “That would be legislation. The first clip I played, he said there will be no legislation in regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would be part of my agenda. That sounds completely contradictory to me. How’s it not?”
“Well, listen — you spent all this time setting up the question and I appreciate that,” the RNC chairman replied. “But the fact of the matter is that what he’s referring to is whether or not there were piles of legislation in the Congress, what specific bills in the Congress in regards to abortion are you going to be pushing over the next four years –”
“– Reince, that wasn’t the question,” O’Brien interjected.
The conversation then turned into a “who-can-talk-over-the-other?” match, ending with this line from Priebus: “I wish you would be as passionate about taking Barack Obama to task for every one of his promises and for every one of his changes that he didn’t follow through on over the last four years.”
Soledad defended her record.
“Which we do all the time,” she said, “But I gotta’ tell you, we’re going to ask tough questions of everyone. I don’t care what side they’re on, honestly.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: Mediaite). Photos courtesy the AP.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,000 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 439 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 394 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 162 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 194 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- Experienced Heat, upstart Pacers ready to go
- Key senator to let Myanmar sanctions bill lapse
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Sorrentino, Bruni Tedeschi bring Italy to Cannes
- Correction: Missing Mom-Utah story
- Gay Fla. teen charged for underage girlfriend
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 20 in Iraq
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot