Tragic Irony: Teen Gets Bullied During TV Interview About…Bullying
In an odd — and tragic — bit of irony, a high school student from Brunswick, Maryland, was bullied (on camera) by peers this week. While such actions are, unfortunately, quite common in our society, this incident was different. The harassment took place while the student, Preston Deener, was preparing to be interviewed on television about the phenomenon of bullying.
As he was getting ready to discuss the harassment issues he has personally encountered, three boys approached him and one of them began hitting him on the head. So, while he was trying to bring awareness to an important issue that has personally impacted him, he very publicly began facing intense torment in front of a reporter and cameraman.
“The student came up to me and pushed me out of the way and said ‘What are you recording?’,” Preston said, according to WHAG-TV. “All of sudden, the student was chasing me and I needed some help.”
Deener quickly ran from the boys in an effort to get assistance (this can be viewed in news reports and video that captured the incident). Just one week before the media came to interview the boy, he was suspended from school for three days.
The harsh action was taken after Deener fought back against a student who was harassing him during a separate incident. Now, Cheryl Deener, the boy’s mother, is hoping the district takes decisive action.
“I’m hoping now that they take this more seriously than what they have,” Cheryl said, referring to the most recent bullying that was captured on film. ”Preston is very strong but I think he’s a little bit shaken up with what happened today.”
Frederick County Public Schools staffer Michael Doerrer said that the district is looking into the matter after WHAG shared footage of the incident with officials and police.
But Preston and his mother are looking to turn the situation around and they’re planning an anti-bullying dance on Friday night. The goal? To bring awareness to the harassment that young people, like Preston, face on a daily basis.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 555 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 506 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 481 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 224 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 231 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US