Twitter Reacts to Biden’s Body Language During Debate: ‘Stop Smiling and Laughing!’
The debate between Joe Biden and Paul Ryan started harsh and only got more and more brutal as it proceeded, with Vice President Joe Biden attacking Republican Vice Presidential nominee Paul Ryan with gusto, repeatedly speaking over him, openly snickering and shaking his head at Ryan’s answers, and essentially giving the impression of a heckler.
And needless to say, the strategy garnered a lot of responses from opinion-makers. Below are some of the most hilarious/strange/interesting responses to the Biden/Ryan debate:
Joe Biden has laughed so hard he’s lost his voice. #vpdebate
— Chris Rock (@chrisrockoz) October 12, 2012
Joe, seriously, STOP SMIRKING. This is serious stuff. Be Vice-Presidential. #PMTdebate
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) October 12, 2012
Apparently raising your voice & pounding the table is what Grimacing Joe does when cornered. #debate
— Karl Rove (@KarlRove) October 12, 2012
Biden’s strategy seems to be to laugh at Ryan constantly. Will it work to infantalize Ryan, or backfire like Gore sighing?
— Philip Klein (@philipaklein) October 12, 2012
Joe Biden needs to realize this isn’t a Senate Foreign Relations Hearing. His laughter and condescending attitude is a disaster.
— Brad Dayspring (@BDayspring) October 12, 2012
Can’t tell yet if Biden’s smirking, laughs, eye-rolling, head shaking, works for him or not against the oh-so-young looking eager Ryan.
— Paul Bedard(@SecretsBedard) October 12, 2012
Joe! Stop smiling and laughing! #vpdebate
— Roger Ebert (@ebertchicago) October 12, 2012
This Biden guy is awesome! I hope he keeps that nice sleepy black guy on the ticket!
— Bill Maher (@billmaher) October 12, 2012
CNN declared the debate itself a draw, but several of its commentators, including David Gergen and Alex Castellanos, gave the style points to Ryan. Summing this perspective up more bluntly, Fox News’ Chris Wallace called this the most “openly disrespectful” debate performance he had ever seen over 52 years of watching debates.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 398 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire