Science Says These Are the Top 10 Worst Noises to Hear
Everyone has at least one noise that drive them bonkers. Researchers recently identified in a study some of the worst auditory offenders — and why they might be so grating to your ears.
Scientists at Newcastle University have researched the part of the brain reacts negatively to certain sounds and even created a top 10 list of those that are the most irritating.
According to the university website, 13 people participated in the study. Of the 74 sounds they listened to, here is the breakdown of best and worst (Note: If you click on the links, you can hear the sounds):
MOST UNPLEASANT SOUNDS
1. Knife on a bottle
2. Fork on a glass
3. Chalk on a blackboard
4. Ruler on a bottle
5. Nails on a blackboard
6. Female scream
8. Brakes on a cycle squealing
9. Baby crying
10. Electric drill
LEAST UNPLEASANT SOUNDS
2. Baby laughing
4. Water flowing
It could be argued that the sample size of little more than a dozen participants was too small to truly categorize these as the best and worst sounds.
Researchers monitored participants’ brains as they were listening to these sounds and found those that rated as more unpleasant were associated with a heightened auditory response thanks to regulation by the part of the brain that controls emotion, the amygdala. Study author Sukhbinder Kumar said it “appears there is something very primitive kicking in.”
Here’s more on the details:
Analysis of the acoustic features of the sounds found that anything in the frequency range of around 2,000 to 5,000 Hz was found to be unpleasant. Dr Kumar explains: “This is the frequency range where our ears are most sensitive. Although there’s still much debate as to why our ears are most sensitive in this range, it does include sounds of screams which we find intrinsically unpleasant.”
The scientists believe further research down this vein could improve understanding of those with medical disorders that relate to their auditory perception, such as patients with autism.
“This might be a new inroad into emotional disorders and disorders like tinnitus and migraine in which there seems to be heightened perception of the unpleasant aspects of sounds,” lead researcher Tim Griffiths said in a statement.
This research is published in the Journal of Neuroscience.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 176 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 305 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl