White House Scrambles to Say Biden Doesn’t Speak for Entire Administration After Bold Libya Comments
The White House is claiming Vice President Joe Biden speaks only for himself and President Barack Obama, not the entire administration, after he said “we” weren’t aware that U.S. diplomats in Libya wanted more security.
Biden’s statement during Thursday’s vice presidential debate that “we weren’t told they wanted more security there” was directly at odds with the State Department, which acknowledged it received multiple requests for increased security prior to the Sept. 11, 2012 attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
A top White House official told Foreign Policy magazine Friday that neither Obama nor Biden were aware of the requests and that Biden does not speak for the entire administration:
The Cable asked Deputy National Security Advisor for Communications Ben Rhodes whether Biden was speaking for the entire Obama administration, including the State Department, which acknowledged receiving multiple requests for more Libya security in the months before the attacks. Rhodes said that Biden speaks only for himself and the president and neither of them knew about the requests at the time.
The State Department security officials who testified before House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa’s panel Wednesday never said they had made their requests to the president, Rhodes pointed out. That would be natural because the State Department is responsible for diplomatic security, not the White House, he said. Rhodes also pointed out that the officials were requesting more security in Tripoli, not Benghazi.
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Friday blasted Biden’s answer and accused him of “doubling down on denial.”
“The vice president directly contradicted the sworn testimony of State Department officials,” Romney said. “He’s doubling down on denial. And we need to understand exactly what happened as opposed to just have people brush this aside. When the vice president of the United States directly contradicts the testimony, sworn testimony, of State Department officials, American citizens have a right to know just what’s going on.”
Later on Friday, White House press secretary Jay Carney also made to separate Biden’s comments from the administration Friday as well.
“The vice president was speaking about himself and the president and the White House. He was not referring to the administration, clearly, since there was a public hearing for four-and-a-half hours where it was discussed openly by individuals working at the State Department requests that were made,” Carney told reporters. “He was speaking about himself and the president and the White House.”
But even that explanation has potential problems, as one YouTube commenter noted:
Does Jay Carney understand what he just said? He’s trying to say that the US Commander and Chief did not have the information that is critical to National Security for more than a week after they FALSELY told the world that what evolved into a global uprising was because of a poorly made video about Muhammad loaded into Youtube that only had a few hundred views at the time. That’s a wee scary eh?
This post has been updated since it was first published to add comments from Mitt Romney and Jay Carney.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 516 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 462 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 446 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 326 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
- US family leaves Singapore frustrated with inquest
- FBI arrests suspect in Wash. state ricin case
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- UK emergency committee meets after attack