Why Is the Creator of ‘Friday Night Lights’ Accusing Mitt Romney of ‘Plagiarism’?
The creator of the “Friday Night Lights” television series and movie is accusing Mitt Romney of plagiarizing a phrase from the show to use as a campaign slogan — and he’s not happy about it.
Peter Berg wrote a letter to Romney on Friday saying he’s “not thrilled” that the Republican presidential candidate is using the show’s “Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose” slogan on campaign posters and his Facebook page.
On the TV show, a small-town Texas football coach uses the phrase to inspire his players before taking the field.
Berg’s agent distributed the letter to the media. In it, the writer-director-actor says Romney’s politics and campaign aren’t aligned with the themes of the TV series.
“The only relevant comparison I see between your campaign and ‘Friday Night Lights’ is in the character of Buddy Garrity — who turned his back on American car manufacturers selling imported cars from Japan,” Berg said in the letter, obtained exclusively by The Hollywood Reporter.
He also wrote that the “politics and campaign” of the Romney/Ryan ticket “are clearly not aligned with the themes we portrayed in our series.”
Berg goes on to thank the governor for supporting the show but says, “Please come up with your own campaign slogan.”
To read Berg’s entire letter, click here.
However, there is another piece of controversy stirring in this scathing rebuke of Romney, which was caught by the Huffington Post:
While Berg — who came up with the phrase — is quick to rebuke the Romneys, the author of the book the series and movie are based on recently endorsed the candidate in a column posted by The Daily Beast. Buzz Bissinger wrote that Barack Obama’s poor debate performance and what Bissinger sees as Romney’s emerging, moderate platform led him to make that decision.
In a follow-up piece, Bissinger says he has been vilified by the “liberal media” and his own friends, some of whom he believes he’ll never feel the same about.
Bissinger also slammed Berg’s letter on Friday in a statement to THR:
“I love Pete but he is being childish and petulant…He should be flattered that Romney is honoring his show. Obama tried to use the slogan as well but unsurprisingly was ineffective in getting the message across.”
The Romney campaign did not respond to a request for comment.
Berg is also currently directing the movie version of “Lone Survivor,” based on the best-selling book. The Hollywood Reporter explains the plot:
Lone Survivor recounts how [Marcus] Luttrell and three other SEALs were on a reconnaissance mission near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border in 2005. They came across an old man and three boys, and while knowing that it could jeopardize their lives, the commandos let the group pass. The act of mercy backfired, and soon the team was under attack by a small Taliban army. Luttrell was the only one who survived. A later firefight led to the largest loss of life in SEAL history.
Luttrell has appeared on The Glenn Beck Program a several times.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 472 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
- US stock market recovers most of an early loss
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Violence in Somalia scares investors, aid workers