Students Set Up Sting With Fake Facebook Page That Gets ‘Creepy’ IT Employee Fired
Two students at a Bronx high school getting a “creepy” vibe from one of the school’s IT technicians decided to create a phony Facebook page to gain proof for some of their feelings. The sting worked and the tech has since been fired for taking the bait.
The New York Post reports a male and female student attending Cinema School established a profile using the name Sarah Archer. Kevin Eckstein, 38, became friends with Archer and eventually ended up asking her out on several dates, the Post found in a report by the Special Commissioner of Investigation.
Eckstein was fired from his post at the school for these actions before the start of this school year. The Post reports formal authorities becoming involved in the investigation after a teacher heard the two teen detectives talking about their plan.
Eckstein told the Post though that he didn’t realize her age:
“When I discovered in the conversation after two days that she was 16, I ended contact with her. I blocked her,” he said.
“Two kids out of the whole school who didn’t like me attempted to talk to me on Facebook and it created a buzz within the school and it led to an investigation,” he added. “It ended and I left the school.”
The Post points out that the report says the fake Facebook user informed Eckstein that she was 16 though.
The Post then anonymously quotes one of the students involved in the Facebook sting who said they never intended for Eckstein, a father of two, to get fired. The student said they had only wanted to see if the comments made about Eckstein by other students were true.
CBS Local from New York reports a parent saying she believes the situation should not have gotten to this point.
“That’s disgusting,” parent Missy Vaughn said, according to CBS 2. “How could I send my child to school thinking that my child was safe? They should have told someone. If anything, they should have told the principal, somebody.”
UPI reports that Eckstein did not face criminal charges for his actions, which he has continued to deny.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 312 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 266 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom