U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told CNN on Monday she takes “full responsibility” for the security failures at the U.S. consulate in Libya where a terrorist attack by radical Islamists last month killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. However, she is blaming the inconsistent stories that came out of the Obama administration on the “fog of war,” Fox News reports.
Pushing back against Republican criticism of the Obama administration for its handling of the situation, Clinton said Monday in Lima, Peru, that security at all of America’s diplomatic missions abroad is her job, not that of the White House. The remarks seem to back up Vice President Joe Biden’s claims that he and President Obama didn’t know the Consulate requested additional security.
In television interviews, Clinton said she is responsible for State Department security and “for the more than 60,000 people around the world.” She told Fox News that “the decisions about security are made by security professionals.” She also made similar comments to CNN about taking responsibility.
“I can’t speak to who knew what…We knew there were security breaches and problems throughout Libya. That’s something that came about as the aftermath of the revolution to topple Qaddafi, with so many militias formed, so many weapons loose,” she told Fox News. “It was taken into account by security professionals as they made their assessments.”
Watch CNN’s report:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.