Revealed: Mitt Romney’s Favorite Joke
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney has opened up to Readers’ Digest on topics unrelated to policy, in a rare look at the GOP nominee’s personal side. And it’s a fairly enlightening read, even if politics aren’t involved.
Some of the more interesting answers include Romney’s favorite word (“Indomitable”) and his statement that his campaign is motivated by concern for the next generation. However, probably the most heartwarming moment comes when he tells the publication his favorite joke:
RD: At Reader’s Digest, we always say that laughter is the best medicine. So what’s your favorite joke, and could you tell it to me now?
Romney: I came into a large room of Republicans in Massachusetts, and I turned to my wife and said, “Ann, in your wildest dreams, did you see me running for political office?” And she turned back and said, “Mitt, you weren’t in my wildest dreams.”
RD: I like that your favorite joke was Ann’s. Is she the one who makes you laugh?
Romney: We fell in love when we were young. She was 16; I was 18. Some people, I’m told, grow apart when they meet very young. We grew together. We share perspectives; we don’t agree on everything, but we see things in a very similar way, and we’re entirely devoted to each other. I would rather be with her than doing anything else on earth.
In advance of tomorrow night’s town hall debate, where Romney will almost certainly be on the lookout for any opportunity to show his capacity for empathy, answers like this may come as an encouraging sign to his supporters.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 483 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Newly found Pearl S. Buck book is to be published
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Singer Nick Carter to release memoir Sept. 24
- AP Interview: Syria conflict uproots Palestinians
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal