Article Calling Mormon Faith a ‘Cult’ Was Scrubbed From Billy Graham’s Web Site Following His Meeting With Romney
Last week, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney met with evangelist Billy Graham — a practice that is common for heads of state and presidential candidates, alike. Just days after the much-publicized meeting took place, The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), the Christian leader’s official organization, admitted scrubbing language from its web site that called the Mormon faith, among other religions, a “cult.”
Ken Barun, who serves as chief of staff for the BGEA, said that the decision was made to remove The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) to prevent the organization from entering into a politicized debate about the faith system. On the site, LDS was previously clumped together with Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Unification Church and Scientology.
US Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney (L) speaks with the Reverend Billy Graham (C) and his son Franklin (R) during a visit to the Graham’s Cabin in Montreat, North Carolina, on October 11, 2012. Credit: AFP/Getty Images
“Our primary focus at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association has always been promoting the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” Barun told the Citizen-Times. “We removed the information from the website because we do not wish to participate in a theological debate about something that has become politicized during this campaign.”
The article was removed from the web site after the meeting between Romney and Graham took place. Before it was taken down, though, under a section called “What is a cult?,” Graham apparently gave his controversial answer — one that is likely to frustrate those individuals who fall within the stated faiths.
“A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith,” the web site previously read. ”Some of these groups are Jehovah’s Witnesess, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spritualists, Scientologists, and others.”
Below, see a screen shot from an archived version of BillyGraham.org (note: not all of the images loaded in this rendering):
This action is particularly noteworthy, seeing as Franklin Graham, the famed evangelist’s son, came under fire earlier this year after refusing to say that President Barack Obama and Romney are Christians during an interview on MSNBC. In his exchange with commentators, he noted the theological differences that exist between LDS adherents and other Christian denominations.
Previously, he acknowledged the difficulty he contended Romney might have in courting evangelical voters.
“It’s going to be difficult for Romney as a Mormon with the evangelical community,” Graham also said earlier this year. “For most Christians, Mormonism is an issue and he has a hurdle here that he’s going to have to jump over and navigate around if he can.”
(H/T: Deseret News)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings