Atheists Release Report Card for Presidential Candidates to Help Secular Americans Choose
On Tuesday, the Secular Coalition for America (SCA), a lobbying group that represents atheists and non-theists, released its “2012 Presidential Candidate Scorecard.” The tool, which takes into account the Libertarian and Green Party candidates in addition to the Republican and Democratic front-runners, is intended to help non-believers select a candidate who is sensitive to their views on the role of faith in government.
Like any report card, candidates are given a grade that ranges from “A” to “F” (D wasn’t an option). Only those contenders who are on the ballot in enough states that they would, theoretically, be able to reach 270 electoral votes — the magic number needed to win the presidency — are included.
Naturally, one might wonder what the grades are based upon. According to a press release put out by the SCA, the candidates’ public statements and actions in five areas and on 17 issues were considered. The main focus of these topics, of course, is the separation of church and state and how it pertains to education, health and safety and a variety of other issues.
Here’s how the candidates fared:
- Gary Johnson, Libertarian: B
- Barack Obama, Democrat: C
- Mitt Romney, Republican: F
- Jill Stein, Green Party: Incomplete
A detailed analysis of the contenders’ stances on subjects ranging from the contraceptive mandate to “recognition of the U.S. as a secular nation” (Obama scored an “A” in this latter area and Romney received an “F”) can be found on the SCA web site. An overview of the scorecard, though, which is broken down issue-by-issue, can be found, below:
Photo Credit: Secular Coalition of America
The SCA maintains that the report card is important for non-believers, as it may help guide their actions at the polls come November. For atheist activists who hold dear to their secular values, it’s likely that the candidates’ opinions on the separation of church and state will hold sway.
But it’s also likely that there are many atheists, just as there are people of faith, whose deep concern for the economy will trump angst over candidates’ views on faith in the public sphere. Regardless, the SCA believes that the scorecard paints a telling picture about America’s need to return to its purportedly secular roots.
“This scorecard shows that our current politicians still have a long way to go in protecting the secular values that America was founded on,” said Edwina Rogers, executive director of the SCA.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 534 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 490 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 473 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 157 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 128 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine