New Romney Ad Targets Women: Abortion ‘Should Be an Option’ in Certain Cases
NEW YORK (TheBlaze/AP) — On the same day the second U.S. presidential debate was held, Mitt Romney’s campaign has released a new television ad suggesting the Republican hopeful believes abortion “should be an option” in certain cases.
The ad features a woman saying she’d heard Romney’s position on abortion and birth control “seemed a bit extreme.” She says she’d learned Romney doesn’t oppose contraception and believes abortion should be available in cases of rape, incest or when the life of the mother is at stake. The Hill has more:
The campaign’s new TV spot features a woman, identified as Sarah Minto, who says she voted for President Obama in 2008.
“Those ads saying Mitt Romney would ban all abortions and contraception seemed a bit extreme, so I looked into it,” Minto tells the camera.
“Turns out Romney doesn’t oppose contraception at all,” she continues. “In fact, he thinks abortion should be an option in cases of rape, incest or to save a mother’s life.”
The ad is an appeal to women voters, who polls show have widely favored President Barack Obama throughout the race. Surveys show the gap has narrowed.
Watch the ad, below:
Romney supported abortion rights as Massachusetts governor — but later had a change of heart. He now opposes the procedure, except in narrow instances.
The ad was set to air in Virginia, Wisconsin and Ohio.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 459 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 114 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans